Star Opts Out of Social Media

Hunger Games star Jennifer Lawrence might be the only star under the age of 30 to disconnect from social media. After the massive leak of celebrity’s private photos in August, can she be blamed?

Jennifer-Lawrence-studied-her-phone-possibly-playing-Candy-Crush

Lawrence was one of (too) many celebrities whose private photos were hacked and leaked on 4chan. Photos meant to be only seen by her boyfriend of four years were plastered on the Internet and exposed to the general public. Lawrence told Vanity Fair in October:

“Just because I’m a public figure, just because I’m an actress, does not mean that I asked for this. It does not mean that it comes with the territory. It’s my body, and it should be my choice, and the fact that it is not my choice is absolutely disgusting. I can’t believe that we even live in that kind of world.”

It is no wonder she is anti-Internet and anti-social media.

Lawrence told BBC Radio One in an interview that the Internet has “scorned” her. She strongly says that she will never be in the social media loop and hold Twitter, Facebook and Instagram accounts.

“I don’t really understand what [Twitter] is, it’s like this weird enigma that people talk about,” Lawrence said. “It’s fine, I respect that, but no, I’ll never get Twitter. If you ever see a Facebook or Instagram or Twitter that says it’s me, it’s not me.”

PR News writer Matthew Schwartz is sympathetic to her stand on social media and he considers a takeaway for the PR world:

“While we would not advise brands and organizations to avoid social media platforms altogether, Lawrence’s decision could inspire companies to be a bit more selective with the kind of content that they post on their social channels. It also shows that if brands give stakeholders a good reason for wanting to back off from their social channels, they may generate even more attention than they would have by posting the content in the first place.”

Schwartz also notes that Lawrence’s take on social media is the total opposite of her fellow 24-year-old celeb, Taylor Swift, who does social media “right.”

jennifer-lawrence-creeps-up-on-taylor-swift-during-golden-globes-red-carpet

Do you think that Lawrence’s old school approach to the Internet and social media are a lasting model for her “brand”? With the uncertainty of security, is it likely other celebrities will adopt her view?

This entry was posted in Compass Communication. Bookmark the permalink.