Gaga Lifts Off in ‘Flying Dress’

Just hours before her highly-anticipated album release party “artRave,” Lady Gaga revealed her latest invention, known as “Volantis.”

lady-gaga-flying-dress-615x400

The pop star unveiled a high-tech, white vehicle she coined as the world’s first flying dress. The contraption lifted her inside a gigantic warehouse at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, where she held a press conference to debut her latest project and kick off her album release party on Nov 10.

“I wanted to make today about something even more important to me, and that something is the youth of the world…. Their minds are just so boundless. They’re just so inspiring,” she told the crowd.

And although she says Volantis is just “a vehicle,” Gaga added the dress is “essentially a metaphor for me. I will be a vehicle today for their voices.”

According to an article by The Verge, the transport prototype “has six booms arranged in a hex formation with two electric motors at the end of each boom that provide power to custom carbon fiber propeller blades,” adding that it “looks like a giant AR.Drone helping to lift her above the stage.”

171-YkHcU_St_55

Throughout the album cycle of Lady Gaga’s latest LP ARTPOP, the “Do What U Want” singer’s projects have mixed art, technology and pop music through the inclusion of well-known fine artists and tech assets like her app. For example, the cover artwork for her upcoming album includes a work by Koons against fragments of the classic work “The Birth of Venus.”

ARTPOP cover art designed by Jeff Koons.

Since her debut in 2008, Gaga has continued to look for ways to bridge art, fashion, music and technology. From inventions as simple as the disco stick, to the vibrant contraption known as the living dress and the infamous shooting fire bra, Gaga is reaching new levels of her own artistry and it seems ARTPOP is a celebration of her entire career, and the message is the vehicle to move it forward.

Do you think Volantis is an innovative project or a useless contraption? Watch Volantis take flight here.

1 Response to Gaga Lifts Off in ‘Flying Dress’

1. Tory Stangl says:

I do think that Volantis is an innovative project. I think that Lady Gaga is overlooked by many because of how outrageous some of her ensembles, performances and now creations are; but I think she is a great and influential voice for our generation. People complain about our generation stating that we don’t care about the “important things,” like what is happening in Syria, but influential entertainment figures, such as Lady Gaga, are quickly changing that statement. When the people that we idolize show that they care about a certain cause or idea, it makes our generation pay attention and get involved. Whether you like this new contraption or not, it has sparked creativity, it has captured our attention and speaks as a powerful metaphor.