Facebook + Pinterest = The New MySpace

Just a few years ago, MySpace was the most-visited social networking site before the launch of Facebook’s reign.  However, it looks like MySpace is trying to make a comeback.  In mid September, Myspace aired a video aired featuring a new, redesigned, spiffy-looking version of the old social network.

la-fi-tn-myspace-redesigned–20120924,0,1424543.story?track=rss

At first glance, the visually engaging design looks like a combination of Pinterest and Facebook.  They’ve started from scratch to rebuild it and it looks appealing; however, so did Google+.  I don’t think Google+ attracted the expected “boom” that Google anticipated.  People made accounts with Google+, but they don’t seem to be nearly as prevalent as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or even Pinterest.  Sorry Google!

Knowing that, it may be difficult for MySpace to make its way back onto the highly competitive social media scene.  The one major aspect that may re-position MySpace on Twitter and Facebook’s playing field is its music feature.

Back in the MySpace days, it was incredibly music integrated.  When people visited your page, you could select a song that would be playing there in advance as well as discover different types of music.  Justin Timberlake, a major investor in the new MySpace, is heavily featured in the new promotion video on the music side of the spectrum.

MySpace will need to rely heavily on its music to appeal to the general public in differentiating it from Facebook and Twitter.  Spotify, a social network integrated with Facebook, is a music-based social network.  Spotify allows you to connect with friends from Facebook, share music and listen to albums free of charge (a Pandora with more diversity and options).  If MySpace can find a way to stand out among musical social networks such as Pandora or Spotify, it may have a chance to gain popularity with users again.  Toward the end of the video, Myspace mentions:

“We’re hard at work building the new MySpace, entirely from scratch. But we’re staying true to our roots in one important way — empowering people to express themselves however they want. So whether you’re a musician, photographer, filmmaker, designer or just a dedicated fan, we’d love for you to be a part of our brand new community.”

Maybe MySpace’s empowerment of expression will help it become a major player in the social network scene, once again.  Only time will tell what the new MySpace has to offer and just how “sticky” it will be…

3 Responses to Facebook + Pinterest = The New MySpace

1. omakinso says:

I found the description of MySpace in this post very interesting. It truly is a combination of so many current social networking sites that are working well: Facebook, Pinterest and Spotify. But will putting all of these aspects together make for a winning combination or a cacophony of ideas?

Also, MySpace has its own reputation as a punchline to work against. MySpace’s very rapid drop in popularity makes its climb back up much more difficult. The design is visually stimulating, but would it be more appealing if it were an entirely new site and not a redesign of a site that so many people think of as a thing of the past?

I doubt that MySpace will ever be able to regain the popularity it once had, but I’m hopeful for them that with this new angle they will find their place in a new market.

2. ssteffan says:

I’m interested to see what happens with the new MySpace. I think its attempt to stick with its roots of music, art, culture, and the like shows that it’s more likely to keep its original fans around and maybe recruit some new ones that jibe with its purpose. I think that clearly defined purpose works to its advantage, rather than trying to copy Facebook or Google+ and just being an all-purpose networking site. MySpace hopefully will keep that visual element in the redesign and not bombard it with too much going on, like some of the earlier MySpace pages. I guess we’ll have to wait and see!

3. lzimmel says:

Personally, I don’t think that I will ever create a new MySpace but don’t quote me on that because you never know. I think that MySpace has a teenage reputation and people have clearly moved on from it. I am curious to see what will happen with the new MySpace and who their audience will be. The fact that Justin Timberlake is a large investor is interesting and I think it will be cool to see who flocks to MySpace just for that reason. I think that if they stick to more of a music spin then they might have a chance in making a real comeback and target to a specific audience. I think that they are going to have to have a lot of buzz and celebrity endorsers in order to have people hop back on the bandwagon. I am really interested to see what will happen and if it will function or flop!