Soccer Riot Another Blow to Egypt’s Reputation

Seventy people are dead after a riot erupts outside an Egyptian soccer match in Port Said. Witnesses claim that many people were stabbed to death by rival fans with knives while others suffocated under in the narrow hallway that leads to the stadium exit. This is yet another incident that mars the once stable status of Egypt.

After the revolution last year, the country has become one of the most unstable nations in the region. Besides the political upheaval, its travel industry, exports and overall reputation have also seen significant decreases in popularity. A public relations overhaul is needed for the nation, but the instability has made that nearly impossible.

From a PR perspective, this task would seem quite out of reach. A viral campaign would be needed to highlight the vacation areas and tourist destinations that are still viable, as well as some positive news coverage coming out of the nation. However, with the country continuing to deteriorate, the odds of that happening are increasingly unlikely.

The nation has yet to extend an official apology to the victims’ families or ┬ácapture those responsible for the riot. Riot police were largely ineffective in their dispersal of the crowd.

Egypt needs to step up and act or their reputation and livelihood will continue to suffer. Instead of solely military personnel in leadership positions, perhaps Egypt should reach out to PR practitioners to help run the nation. A fresh perspective definitely couldn’t hurt.

2 Responses to Soccer Riot Another Blow to Egypt’s Reputation

1. crose3 says:

I agree that Egypt is and has been in need of serious reputation rebuilding, although I’m not so sure PR practitioners could run the country. Egypt is a place I would love to visit, but it is not possible for me because of all the political upheaval and violence ravaging the nation. I really like California’s viral campaign and wonder if something like that would work with Egypt. Unfortunately, I don’t think it will because the politics and violence seem to overshadow anything remarkable about Egypt such as the pyramids and religious history.

2. jperaza says:

Conducting a public relations campaign for an entire nation would be no easy feat. In order for Egypt to market themselves internationally, they would first have to take control of their government policies and violent acts. A public relations team would be irrelevant if they were trying to promote a nation in upheaval. Ironically though, Egypt would probably benefit from an internal PR campaign and target its people. If Egyptian citizens could return to a stable environment and economy, then it would be PR’s job to get the rest of the world on board.