Cruise Ship Disaster Grounds Reputation of Entire Industry

The cruise ship industry has always advertised that it offers fun and unique experiences for families and individuals alike. However, the Costa Concordia disaster in Italy has damaged that reputation of the entire industry. From the captain¬†abandoning his ship to the cruise line’s lack of apology or general concern for the media storm, the reputation of the industry is suffering.

The cruise ship grounding not only caused the death and injuries of more than 50 people, but it is polluting the pristine water. Instead of rushing to remove the ship, it was announced that the capsized boat will not be removed for 10 months. With no sense of urgency, how will cruise liners turn around the negative view of the industry right now?

If I were consulting for any cruise line right now, I would recommend issuing an immediate apology. Then they should make it known that they are working hard on technical advances that will prevent tragedies like this from ever happening again. The only way to put a tragedy in the past is to adjust your future in a way that prevents  other devastating situations from happening.

2 Responses to Cruise Ship Disaster Grounds Reputation of Entire Industry

1. crose3 says:

I completely agree with you that the only way to put tragedy in the past is to adjust future planning to avoid disastrous situations. I cannot believe that the ship will not be removed for 10 months. I actually think that sounds like another PR crisis in itself. Of course the biggest PR mistake here, like you said, is that an apology was not immediately issued. I am sure that campaigns are underway to restore the cruise line’s reputation, but I wonder if other cruise lines are also creating campaigns that emphasize their safety and distinguish them from Costa Cruise Lines?

2. mcberbli says:

This is more of a technical question…but no clean up for 10 months? How is that even possible? I absolutely agree that first and foremost, a letter of apology to the public AND all of the passengers (not to mention compensation) should be issued. Then immediate action should be taken to clean up the mess that the cruise line made. Also, returning to my point about compensation, wasn’t the cruise line denying passengers their money back? I thought I heard they were doing something else ridiculous like giving them a coupon to return. Just thought I’d bring that point to light since we’re talking about how to properly take care of the people affected by this event.