Royals Prove They Can Adapt to Change

Kate Middleton is making waves, but this time the gossip is not about her fabulous style choices or her perfect smile — they are about her refusal to eat peanuts and drink champagne during a royal appearance in Copenhagen. According to ABC News, the speculation is growing over a royal pregnancy and all signs at the  Copenhagen event point to yes.

The most talked-about woman in the world, next to Lady Gaga, has promised the world an heir with no stated preference for a boy or a girl. This is not to say she is pregnant yet, there have been no official confirmations, but the Royal family has said they recognize the changing times and no matter the sex of their next heir, he or SHE will take the throne succeeding her soon-to-be-king father, William.

Within just a few months of becoming royalty, it seems Kate is already having a tremendous impact on the monarchy and her country. Should her first born be a girl, she will be the first female to ascend the throne as the first born child of the king and queen in more than 300 years. For centuries, the monarchy, struggling to hold on to their rich history and traditions, has ruled that only the first-born male could inherit the throne.

The change is huge for the monarchy and a certainty to generate positive publicity. Should anyone criticize the Royal family as irrelevant anymore, now is the time to praise them on their effort to appease their people and adapt to a changing world. I think Kate Middleton has come into the picture at the perfect time. The euro is falling apart and the European economy has seen better days, so what better time than now for a fresh face, representing new life and the modern day, to join the “outdated” family and help them modernize a monarchy that has resisted change for centuries.

The spotlight is definitely on Europe at this moment and I praise the Royals for seizing this opportunity and making a small, yet highly significant change. I think that they realize the need to better align their ideals to those with which the modern world can relate. Before, I always regarded the Royals as intangible heads of state that did very little. But this shift has changed my mind.

I think that when Kate Middleton joined the Royal family, she became their eyes and ears to “normal” people. Like her husband’s mother, Princess Diana, she knows what people want and how to soften the royal image. I believe the monarchy needed her to help them connect with their people.

Kate Middleton has succeeded in polishing the image of a nation, marrying the heir to the throne and influencing the new policy that a female first born can take the throne after her father — all great PR moves!

5 Responses to Royals Prove They Can Adapt to Change

1. caolson says:

I think this is great, and totally relatable to PR. Just like practitioners who have to change their image to remain relevant in changing times, so did the Royal family. Showing that they are not completely stuck in the traditional European practices and that they are open to a woman taking over the throne completely changes my view of the Royals. I think this was a great move for them, and for future generations to come.

2. smwillar says:

I definitely agree that softening the royal family’s image and backing a controversial topic were great PR moves by Kate Middleton! It is great to know that even some of the oldest institutions understand the importance of changing with the times and are considering their target audience — the citizens of the U.K. In classes, we are taught PR skills as if we will be moving on to work on campaigns with a specific audience in mind. It must be both scary and challenging to suddenly have the eyes and ears of millions of people. She has acted as a great budding PR practitioner, so far.

3. rsutherl says:

In my humble opinion, deciding that women are worthy figureheads — not actual rulers — in the year 2011 A.D. is not a particularly progressive move. For them, on their turf, in their arena, sure — it’s a great step forward. And I agree that Kate Middleton’s modern presence no doubt pushed that decision and made it feel inevitable. But I wouldn’t categorize it as a giant leap for womankind. If Benazir Bhutto got the same kind of recognition for being elected prime minister of a Muslim state as Kate got for her pretty hair, I’d say we were on to something.

4. abwolfe says:

I think it is important to show that even the most secluded members of society realize they too need to change with the times. It isn’t just about tradition and gender in the royal family anymore. A born princess would be accepted with open arms. A future queen is seen as acceptable. Now, the royal family definitely doesn’t play the same role they used to, but they are still the face of a nation. The fact that they would be okay with a woman representing that face from birth is a huge step for the royal family and the nation.

5. lworthin says:

I think this is great news that the royal family has decided that a woman can be heir to their throne. Instead of being stuck in the past and how it has always functioned, which as PR practitioners we know is not a good move, they have adapted to the times and made themselves seem worthy again for more than just an image.

Overall, I believe Kate Middleton has handled herself extremely well from a PR perspective. With the entire world watching her every move, she has stayed calm and collected and made sure to set a good example for those around her. She is, in essence, modernizing the royal family and it can only be for the better.