Fear the Fork, Not the Change

Arizona State University officials announced last week that they were launching a new effort to re-brand the school. ASU now hasĀ all new sports uniforms, new colors, a new slogan (Fear the Fork) and a new logo. It even has its own font, Sun Devil Bold. But what’s the big idea behind all this change?

Lisa Love, vice president of University Athletics, told ABC 15 that there was a lack of consistency within ASU’s brand, and that it needed an entire makeover.

The American Marketing Association (AMA) defines a brand as a “name, term, sign, symbol or design, or a combination of them intended to identify the goods and services of one seller or group of sellers and to differentiate them from those of other sellers.” I have lots of Sun Devil Pride, and I am excited that ASU wants to establish a more recognizable brand and merchandise.

One thing I find interesting is that Nike undertook the whole process. Much of the $1 million project was funded by Nike, according to the East Valley Tribune. ASU’s three-syllable slogan, “Fear the Fork,” has a similar ring to Nike’s “Just Do It.” Also, our logo is sleeker and simpler, a pitchfork with no Sparky attached. I find it also similar to Nike’s easily-recognized “swoosh.”

Nike has done an amazing job of branding itself. Almost everyone who wears a sneaker wants it to be a Nike, and if I’m about to get new workout clothes, Nike is always my top choice. Nike’s logo and slogan are simple and universally known, and now the company is sharing their branding wisdom with ASU. I think it’s great, and I think ASU Athletics has made a smart PR move that is probably long overdue.

Nike has already re-worked Oregon State and Ohio State’s brand. Oregon was in the BCS Championship game last year, s0 I’m crossing my fingers that ASU will fare just as well, if not better, with the new brand and the excitement that comes along with it.

2 Responses to Fear the Fork, Not the Change

1. ssanchez says:

It was the University of Oregon, not Oregon State, and that particular case is what makes me hopeful for ASU. I know that I had never heard or cared about the Oregon teams until recent years, and it’s impressive to me that Nike stepped in just around the time when things started to look up for that school athletics-wise. Hard to say if that was the exact cause, but at this point for the Devils it certainly wouldn’t hurt to try, especially since an update has been due for some time now.

2. ahkline1 says:

I don’t think a jersey is going to change the luck of our team. It is all about getting that one recruit who changes your team around — just look at what Andrew Luck has done for Stanford. ASU is just not synonymous with success in football and I don’t think these jerseys will change our luck. Our team next year, on the other hand, is looking strong and this has nothing to do with our newly found Nike Unis as our class had been signed months before. We should make a run at the PAC South conference title and I hope that these jerseys are not hailed as our godsend.