Super Bowl Adver-PRICY

The much anticipated game of the year happened earlier today when the Green Bay Packers defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers 31-25 in Dallas.

But why did the nation wait in anticipation for this game?

For the spectacle that it is, Super Bowl Sunday could, without a doubt, be a national holiday. More than 106 million viewers tuned in to watch Super Bowl XLIV in 2010, making the game the top-rated broadcast ever. The year before, NBC earned $213 million in advertising revenue.

How has Super Bowl Sunday evolved into such a phenomenon? Avid football fans might argue with me, but Sunday was not about football as much you might think. In actuality, there are many components to the Super Bowl that may possibly be just as important as the game: food, friends and family, the half-time show and commercials, in particular.

Super Bowl commercials, if done right, become a part of pop culture.

You know the ones:  Doritos ‘Play Nice,’ Snickers Betty White, the E-Trade Baby, and CareerBuilder ‘Casual Friday’.  The big dogs know it too; and each year the major contenders come out fists up, ready to show us what they’ve got.

When a commercial wins top of mind in a consumer, a major battle has been won. In order to win, a marketer’s tool belt must boast more gizmos and gadgets than ever before. The traditional hardware just doesn’t cut it any longer. Chrysler knew that and yesterday, for the first time in history, ran a two-minute commercial starring Eminem and the new Chrysler 200.  This is unheard of in the world of advertising.

I want to know what you think about Super Bowl advertising. Is it effective or cost effective? Is it worth the risk? Is it the best option when considering all the communication vehicles available to us? Will Chrysler see a difference in its revenue this year? Will the public perceive the Chrysler brand any differently? Did Chrysler make a mistake running a two-minute commercial? What do you think?

*I might note that as the world of public relations becomes more integrated with marketing and advertising, the three will not be adversaries forever. Thus, it can never hurt to explore these topics.

4 Responses to Super Bowl Adver-PRICY

1. tgierba says:

Overall, this ad was pleasing to me. But it has some issues that I see. For one, the spokesperson used was Eminem, who is probably the face of Detroit. That alone is not the issue (necessarily) the main issue I see is the fact that he was featured in another ad for Brisk Iced Tea. The ad before was lackluster at best and seemed to take away from the message that Chrysler was trying to convey. Also, Eminem is more of a spokesperson aimed at high school and college kids; few of them wish to drive a Chrysler. I can see such an ad working if the 200 is something all new and redesigned for a new generation. But with the little that we saw of the car in the ad, this cannot be determined yet.

2. ahkline1 says:

I personally feel that advertising during the Super Bowl longer than the 30 second mark is not cost effective. During the big game, many people zone out. Even though they watch the commercials, often times they are paying more attention to their friends than the television. I think the commercial did a good job incorporating Detroit and the biggest name out of Detroit in recent years into their advertising. I feel that this Chrysler 200 has a similar look as a Mercedes C Class and this could attract a younger audience. Will the commercial sell tons of cars? I doubt it, but it will create some buzz and maybe people will think about Chrysler the next time they are in the market for a new car.

3. dbaxley says:

I have mixed feelings about how effective Super Bowl commercials are. I don’t know if it’s ever cost effective for a company to pay $12 million for a commercial! However, if 106 million viewers were exposed to that message, then it may be worth the risk. When my family watches the Super Bowl, no one gets up to go the bathroom during commercial breaks. Commercials are just as much (if not more) of the entertainment as the actual game! Regardless of whether the Chrysler commercial will lead me to buy one, it is certainly one of the most memorable commercials from Sunday evening.

4. mgingeri says:

To be honest, I think that this Chrysler ad might actually increase the company’s annual sales this year. I say this while biting my tongue because I do not personally believe that advertising has that great of affect on people’s purchases, but this ad just might. I feel this way because when I normally think of Chrysler, I think of my grandma’s old broken down car. I definitely don’t think of a luxury car. And then I saw this ad, and like many Americans, I thought to myself, hey now that is not a half-bad looking car. I think that this ad might do for Chrysler what the Escalade did for Cadillac; it gave it an entire new image. I also don’t think that using Eminem was necessarily a bad thing for an older target audience. My Mom is in her 50s and she thinks Eminem’s “new image” is just great!