Big Love

A public relations company may be called upon to promote a specific awareness of a new product or service.  For holidays such as Valentine’s Day, however, the goal is to promote existing products or new variations thereof, (a specific bouquet of flowers or a newly designed necklace from a major jewelry retailer).  In difficult economic times such as this, the sales goal and ultimate end result are of paramount concern.

February is to the florist industry what Christmas is to toy dealers.  It has been reported that florists will generate 40 percent of their annual income this month alone due to Valentine’s Day, according to The Atlantic.

The article featured in The Atlantic also explained that spending is up this year for the big day of love. The average person will spend $116.21 on Valentine’s merchandise, which is up 12.8 percent over last year’s $103. This will bring total spending for Valentine’s Day to $15.7 billion. Wow.

Newspapers, television news programs and blogs will be prompted by public relations practitioners to feature stories on the upcoming “sweethearts” holiday. Chocolate taste tests, new affordable jewelry designs, clothing, pajama-grams, floral displays delivered overnight. The goal is two-fold: to promote a specific product and to demonstrate to the public that it is “business as usual.” In other words, it is a Must Buy.

Can you think of any Valentine’s Day ads this year that have caught your attention? From a public relations stand point, what persuades a consumer to choose a certain brand over another?

Here is a clip from Hallmark’s 2011 Valentine’s Day commercial . What do you think?

This entry was posted in SHIFT_PR and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Big Love

1. amgraha2 says:

On Valentine’s Day, I think it’s hard for a brand to stick out and make its presence known. With the massive waves of red and pink, everything starts to blend together. I think it’s a challenge to persuade a consumer to choose your brand over others while all your competitors are increasing in marketing strategies, however, it is important. Hallmark’s 2011 Valentine’s Day commercial is a little strange. They’re taking a different approach, and in a way it’s effective because I will remember their message that it’s about saying “I love us.”

2. nkumarat says:

I thought that the Hallmark commercial would appeal to women and teenage girls. I thought the tagline “I love us” was memorable and showing different couples at various age groups targets a bigger demographic.

I think that people relate to certain brands because of reputations. For example, when I think of Valentine’s Day lingerie … I think that most people immediately turn to Victoria’s Secret. I believe that people are set on certain brands because of tradition as well, such as Godiva or See’s chocolates, or even red roses.

3. kdoyle3 says:

I agree with you Amy! I think with cliche holidays, sometimes unconventional makes more of an impact. The phrase stuck with me after watching the commercial, it stuck with me more than watching the semi-sappy jewelry ads like Kay jewelers, etc.

4. jlsteph2 says:

To answer your question, I think the thing that persuades me to go with a certain product at Valentine’s Day is the best bang for my buck. For example, my boyfriend and I ate dinner for the day of love at Fleming’s steak house. Neither of us had ever eaten there before; the thing that drew us in was a free gift. Every guest who ate at Fleming’s for Valentine’s Day got a $25 gift card, just as a thank you. Not only that, but we got ANOTHER $25 gift card for filling out the survey on the receipt. Now THAT is good PR. Not only did we choose to eat at Fleming’s for our Valentine’s Day, but they guaranteed that we would come back. It worked — I heart Fleming’s!