Are You Still Beliebers?

In a February issue of Rolling Stone magazine, Justin Bieber is featured on the cover rocking a leather jacket, a new haircut, and a few words on some controversial issues.

In his interview, Bieber was asked to share his opinion on abortion and abstinence. No side is ever the correct side when talking about such topics, and that includes Bieber’s.

Bieber stated that “I really don’t believe in abortion. It’s like killing a baby.” Later, Bieber is asked if his position stands when rape is brought into the equation, “Um. Well, I think that’s really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I guess I haven’t been in that position, so I wouldn’t be able to judge that.”

This comment came across as harsh and insensitive, making Bieber’s words the topic of some strong comments against the young celebrity, causing his fan base to question if he really is someone they can look to, and also making him the topic of conversation on some popular daytime talk shows. The View’s Joy Behar said it was “really insulting to people who have been raped or victims of incest, there is no ‘reason’ for that.”

Bieber has already started to feel the heat from his fans. On popular social network sites such as Twitter, fans and ex-fans alike have stated that they no longer have “Bieber fever.”

Bieber states that he was misquoted and with the help of his crisis management team, has been hard at work correcting this misperception. Even going as far as to have Rolling Stone publish a correction saying that the Biebs was in-fact misquoted.

Due to an editing error, this story originally included an incomplete quote from Justin Bieber. The full quote, his response to whether abortions should be allowed in cases of rape, reads: ‘Um. Well, I think that’s really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don’t know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven’t been in that position, so I wouldn’t be able to judge that.’

What do you think? Is Bieber just a victim of misquote? Did his crisis management team deal with this in time? Does his age have any affect on how his interview has been received? Was it wrong of Rolling Stone to interview someone so young on such hot-button issues? How will this affect his fan base?

Justin Bieber on Rolling Stone

This entry was posted in SHIFT_PR. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Are You Still Beliebers?

1. afilbert says:

I think that asking Justin Bieber about abortion in the first place is sort of futile, considering he’s a 16-year-old pop-star. From a PR standpoint, it seems as though Rolling Stone was looking for a story where there wasn’t really one. As far as his crisis management team goes, I think they will be able to make a full recovery. The misquote approach does make it seem less offensive, but I think that’s not the reason that it will be fine for the Biebs. His fan base is probably too young to understand the implications of what he said, and I wouldn’t imagine that he’s going to lose a number of fans that would cause him to lose sleep at night.

2. nkumarat says:

I saw a Chelsea Lately episode when the host, Chelsea Handler, interviewed Justin Bieber. Bieber doesn’t have the best on-camera interviewee skills and I can only imagine how he would have been able to handle questions on sensitive subjects like abortion. I do think Justin Bieber is too young, but he is a celebrity and should be media trained like anyone else in his position. He should have given a cleaer statement in regards to the abortion question. I do think that Rolling Stone should have published his statement in full or else added ellipses so the reader would know Bieber said more than what was published. I don’t think it was wrong that Rolling Stone asked Bieber about sensitive subjects because he is considered a public figure and his opinion does matter to his fans. Bieber also agreed to a interview on the record.

3. mgingeri says:

I agree with the comment above and feel that it was wrong of Rolling Stone to ask Justin about abortion in the first place. He is not even an adult yet and shouldn’t be held responsible for answering the way he did. Since the question threw me off, I couldn’t imagine how Justin felt. I don’t think there would be enough media training in the world to prepare a teenage boy’s answer to a question about abortion. In my opinion, this is worsens Rolling Stone’s image and Justin’s. Overall, this won’t hurt the kid too much, he has far too many faithful fans for his tiny mishap to change that.

4. cfetter1 says:

You do have to take his age into consideration. I first really need to question, where was his PR team during this interview? There should have been a team overseeing this interview. I think this is bringing a lot of negative publicity to him, but in the end, his core fans will stay strong and continue to support him. I’m pretty sure his PR team learned a tough lesson on this.

5. dbaxley says:

I agree that the comments were insensitive, but Bieber is only 16 and I really don’t think he is mature enough to be answering that question in the first place. With that said, it was somewhat irresponsible on the behalf of Rolling Stone to even ask him the question in the first place. His audience is fairly young, so I doubt the comments will have a tremendous effect on his reputation, but I think the “corrected” quote sounds worse than the printed one.