Brand Missing Egg-posure

When a brand is mentioned along side a pop culture icon, it’s a marketing dream come true. Global exposure without having to spend a dime? Jackpot. But what a brand says next can make or break its capitalization campaign.

In 2016, Eggo saw a massive boost in interest thanks to the viral success of the Netflix original, Stranger Things. The show features actress Millie Bobby Brown as Eleven, a girl with psychokinetic abilities and a strong appetite for the breakfast classics.

Her pink dress, bloody nose and armful of Eggos was the go-to costume at Halloween. Netflix even included the ‘8’s classic “L’eggo My Eggos” ad in its Super Bowl commercial teasing Season Two of Stranger Things.

All goldmine opportunities the breakfast brand has fallen short in promoting. Many have compared Eggo’s dull marketing attempts to Red Lobster’s “Formation” fail.

Beyonce mentioned the restaurant chain in her highly anticipated single and Red Lobster’s 10-hour late reply was deemed unoriginal and unrelated and “flat out lame.”

In comparison Eggo has Stranger Things-themed recipes, DIY projects you can make from Eggo boxes and, now, a Google Chrome extension that promises to block any Season Two spoilers coming from Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, or Google News. However, these ideas have seen little engagement from fans across social media.

What is the take away for brands? Be original and stay informed.

Authentic communication in advertising and public relations is crucial for brands trying to create a deep, meaningful connection with their audiences. With Season Two of Stranger Things on Oct 27, Eggo’s timely and witty responses will make or break its brand exposure.

What do you think Eggo could do better in its social media approach? Is it a brand’s duty to develop a capitalization strategy or simply comment on the conversation? Any other missed marketing opportunities by brands?

Let us know in the comments!

This entry was posted in Elan. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Brand Missing Egg-posure

1. Carli Engers says:

Hi, Elan!

I really enjoyed reading this post. I love Stranger Things and (like any other college student) will admit I have eaten Eggos for dinner more than let’s say a few times. While I can see how watching the show can create a craving for Eggos in millennials, I think the larger lesson to learn from is how a company can use that exposure to such a large audience to boost their brand. The Red Lobster example was so unsuccessful because there is nothing about it that universally connects with all audiences. The way OREO cookies tweeted during the blackout of the Super Bowl, saying “Power out? No problem. You can still dunk in the dark,” perfectly connects with all audiences. The Tweet was also timely! It was tweeted almost instantly, keeping it relevant and reaching people while they still cared what was going on. Eggo should learn from OREO-be witty and universal at the right moments, and to understand their customer. People eating Eggo’s aren’t culinary experts; they don’t want complicated DIY’s or recipes, hence they’re eating Eggo waffles to begin with!

2. Lindsey Greenwood says:

Hello Elizabeth,

When I read the first paragraph, I immediately thought of the Beyonce and Red Lobster incident. As I continued, I was so glad that you included it! I am a fan of Stranger Things, but I haven’t consumed an Eggo since I was a kid. With communication being basically instant these days, it is important for companies to interact with their audience and standout on social media to attract a greater following. I think leading up to the release of Stranger Things season 2, Eggo should have had a social media strategy developed for all the situations they could think or with appropriate, witty comments. Personally, I don’t think that they have capitalized enough on the Stranger Things promotion. People want to be amused, and Eggo should develop strategies to do this. At least for me, Eggo’s remind me of childhood, to get more adults to buy this product Eggo needs to play on nostalgia while tying in Stranger Things. I think that it would be possible to form a social media campaign around this idea. However, my recommendation for Eggo would be to know your audience and have some witty replies in your back pocket. Didn’t they learn from “Cheddar Bey Biscuits”?

3. Lisa Travis says:

I believe Eggo had the opportunity to really push their brand to Millennials and Gen Zers who may not be in the market for Eggo Waffles, especially with more and more young people cutting the cord with traditional cable and broadcast television thus cutting the cord on the standard Saturday morning Eggo commercials. Eggo should have simplified their approach and let Stranger Things do most of the talking. The brand simply had to piggy back on the gold that was placed in their laps. It would have been ideal to capitalize on the free product placement with a related campaign that took a more personal and less cartoonish approach. This was a missed opportunity for Eggo to capture a more mature audience. I believe it is a brands responsibility to capitalize if they want to get the most out of this kind of pop culture phenomenon that happens around brands, but they do walk a fine line of making it “lame” as Red Lobster did. This is why I suggested a simple approach as to not dumb it down to an audience who already gets it and to not answer too late in the game. Brands need to consider timelines first and foremost when coming up with social media reactions as the internet moves quickly.