In the wake of sexual allegations against some of Hollywood’s biggest names: Harvey Weinstein accused by more than 78 individuals, Kevin Spacey accused of sexual assault of a minor and an unsettlingly growing list of powerful men abusing power, the actions taken by the industry are under close scrutiny.
The backlash against Weinstein has been swift. After the New York Times story appeared, Weinstein was fired from the company that bears his name, and four members of the all-male board resigned. According to Billboard, the Weinstein Co. will announce a new name soon and Weinstein’s name will also be stripped from several TV projects. Meanwhile, his wife, fashion designer Georgina Chapman, announced plans to divorce in the wake of the allegations against him.
Spacey apologized in a widely criticized statement in which he said he was “beyond horrified” by the account, adding that he did not recall the incident.
Netflix was quick to release a statement but many were confused about the timeline if and when “House of Cards,” would be cancelled.
“Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey. In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported,” both companies reported in a statement provided by Netflix. “As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.”
Since the exposure of Weinstein and Spacey, others have come forward to share their stories of assault from powerful men in Hollywood. Those accused include Hollywood screenwriter and director James Toback, Oscar-winning actor Ben Affleck and photographer Terry Richardson.
The Daily Telegraph reported that Condé Nast International, the publisher of high-end magazines such as “Vogue” and “W,” have forbidden its titles to work with Richardson, one of the most sought-after names in the industry.
Condé Nast confirmed that it was firing Richardson, the 65-year-old New York photographer known for sexually explicit images, acting now — despite years of claims that he exploited models — in the wake of Weinstein.
But perhaps the biggest backlash has come from Hollywood stars who have chosen to take a stand against assault and the unspoken control it has within the entertainment industry.
If you’ve been sexually harassed or assaulted write ‘me too’ as a reply to this tweet. pic.twitter.com/k2oeCiUf9n
— Alyssa Milano (@Alyssa_Milano) October 15, 2017
Do you think companies like Netflix are taking the right actions in dealing with these situations? Should they do more? What do you think this says about the future of communications in the entertainment industry?
Let us know in the comments!