Twitter Kicks ‘Star’ to the Curb

In early November, Twitter did away with the “favorite” button and added a “like” one in its place to the dismay of many users. The popular social media company replaced the star icon, which represented “favorite” with a heart for “like.”

According to PR Week, the company explained the change by stating it wanted to, “make Twitter easier and more rewarding to use. You might like a lot of things, but not everything can be your favorite.” Many Twitter users seem to disagree.

Twitter users took to the social media site to express their ill will towards the change. Some users refuse to even acknowledge the change, while others created memes to express their feelings about the change.

What do you think of “favorites” turning into “likes” on Twitter? Do you think it will affect the usage of Twitter? Does changing symbols really have that much effect on your Twitter or social media experience?

This entry was posted in Zephyr PR. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Twitter Kicks ‘Star’ to the Curb

1. Alexandria Coleman says:

The change from “favorites” to “likes” on Twitter certainly seems as though the brand is copying its main competitor, Facebook. However, their explanation does make a great deal of sense. Whether that is the real reason they made the change, I am not so sure.

Maybe I am in the minority here, but I don’t see this as something that could change Twitter or the way it is used in any significant way. If there weren’t so much news about it, I am not even sure that I would have noticed.

The question that comes to mind for me is: Was this change worth it for Twitter? It seems that the new symbol has only a minimal benefit but has caused a great deal of backlash. I would have liked to been in the room when this decision was made to have more insight into why they thought this would be a beneficial change.

2. Erin Mondt says:

I can see why Twitter decided to change the “Like” icon from a star to a heart, because the heart icon is a better representation of “liking” or even “loving” something. However, I think the star is what set them apart from Facebook, so now it seems like they just wanted to copy Facebook as a whole. Twitter said they made this change because they wanted to make the platform easier and more rewarding to use, which makes sense, but I didn’t see the complete need for the change. Personally, changing this icons didn’t have any affect on my social experience, but it definitely got people talking, and expressing how they felt on social media, which was exactly what Twitter wanted.