Target-ing Special Audiences

This year, Target included a young girl dressed as Elsa in their Halloween costume advertisement and it received lots of publicity.

The main character in a record-breaking Disney movie, it only seems natural that Target would want to advertise that it’s carrying costumes from the film. So why did it receive national attention?

The young girl dressed as Queen Elsa was using crutches.

Target has taken yet another leap into inclusiveness with its offering. The company has received praise from parents who have children with disabilities and disability advocate groups.

This new ad follows Target using a plus-sized model and removing all gender labeling in its children’s toys.

However, many do think that Target is taking it too far and are just trying to make a point now.

If you were part of Target’s PR team, would you continue with this path of inclusive advertising? Or would you listen to those who disapprove and go back to “traditional” advertising?Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 9.08.14 AM

This entry was posted in Alpha Media. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Target-ing Special Audiences

1. Megann Jakubek says:

If I were on Target’s PR team, I would definitely push forward with the inclusive advertising. I personally think more companies should open up to the inclusive approach, as it has the potential to break the barriers of media outlets portraying how people should look and act. I love this ad from Target and I look forward to seeing what else they do to continue the inclusive advertising.

2. Lauren Thompson says:

If I were in Target’s shoes, I would definitely continue publishing inclusive advertising. When it comes to the naysayers, I think they are definitely more in the minority, especially in this particular case. Having the support of parents of children with physical disabilities seems like a far more meaningful relationship for Target to pursue.

3. Jasmine Safaie says:

If I were part of Target’s PR team, I would definitely keep going down the path of inclusiveness. With any sort of change, there will always be people that don’t approve or are judgmental of the situation at hand. That doesn’t mean they should stop what they’re doing, but keep pushing through and they might just make a difference.

4. Siera Whitten says:

If I were part of Target’s public relations team, I would continue to cater to the “Special Audiences” (both genders, plus-size, special needs, minorities) and do it proudly. I think the most important thing is for Target to look at who their consumers are– if I had to guess– the majority would be families. Families all over the nation have someone in their family or know someone who has special needs, and this ad campaign not only shows that Target stands beside them, for them, and with them, but it also shows that Target is not afraid to address the elephant in the room– that many times, kids or people with special needs are not fully accepted by society. I think this helps implant the idea into people’s heads that people with special needs want to dress up too– they want to matter, too. I wonder who the audience is that feels Target is “just trying to make a point.” I do not see this inclusive advertising campaign as being negative, and traditionalists would have room to talk if it were, but in this case, I see no reason to agree with those who “disapprove”.

5. Natalie Crandall says:

Personally, I would continue with this type of “inclusiveness” in all the products Target carries. It’s almost as if they threw gender, sexual affiliation, size and disability out the window and decided to accept everyone. I use to be a catalog model for years when I was a little kid. Fortunately, from ages five to 15, there is hardly any discrimination against how you look. Obviously you are selected because you fit the brand and the image they want to promote. Target is clearly just taking which models fit the Target brand and have decided not to be discriminatory. A young girl who came in to a casting call that was just as adorable as any other model, with an unfortunate disability would never be crossed off my list. Target is a store that carries products for everyone and a little girl on crutches should be included as well.

6. Megan Brown says:

To the people who think Target took their inclusive ideals “too far” are absolutely mad. As a former Target employee of over 4 years, I had always thought their toy aisles were far to gender exclusive as the “boy” aisles are lined with blue while the “girl” aisles are lined with the most obnoxious shade of hot pink. To see this massive company take a firm stance for inclusiveness is progress as a society. I do believe that a return to ‘traditional’ advertising would be a hinderance as so much progress has been made and so many young children with crutches were probably jumping with joy because they were represented in an advertisement they would have previously struggled to relate to.