Twitter Brews ‘Coffee Day’ Success

After the alarm clock rings, but before any work actually gets done, most people need some type of caffeinated beverage to get going. There is one particular go-to that consumers seem to love, coffee. According to USA Today, approximately 83 percent of adults in the United States drink coffee.

Tuesday, Sept 29 marked National Coffee Day and many companies, some who do not even sell coffee products, got involved in celebrating the day via social media. According to PR Week, Twitter was the most popular social media platform used to reach diverse audiences and celebrate the whimsical holiday. The hashtag “NationalCoffeeDay” was pitched by many companies seeking to connect with its users.

Some companies took to Twitter to shout out the fact that they were offering a free cup of coffee. Dunkin’ Donuts, Krispy Kreme and McDonalds are just some of the brands that advertised its free java.

Other companies and brands that jumped in to celebrate the day and join the fun were Orbit, New England Patriots and Victoria’s Secret.

Did you hear about National Coffee Day on social media? Did you stop at one of the participating stores for a free cup of joe? What are your thoughts about non-coffee related businesses posting about National Coffee Day?

This entry was posted in Zephyr PR and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Twitter Brews ‘Coffee Day’ Success

1. Breanna Johnson says:

National coffee day was all over the internet, especially on social media platforms. I saw a lot of videos and photos on Snapchat of people with their free coffees from a variety of different places and my twitter feed was under attack with similar posts. I think it’s great that companies who don’t even sell coffee got behind the holiday or at least posted something about it because it’s important for an organization to stay up-to-date on trends. Doing this will help them get connected with an audience because they are endorsing things many people are excited about and it can help an organization reach a millennial audience.

On a separate note, I think it’s odd that Starbucks, off all places, was not offering free coffee. During National Coffee Day, I was hearing a lot of complaints about that because many Starbucks lovers were expecting them to offer freebies and the company wasn’t doing so. They instead decided to donate to a charitable cause for every bag of coffee purchased that day, which I find interesting.

2. Megann Jakubek says:

I definitely heard a lot about National Coffee Day across all social media platforms that I use. A lot of my friends posted their own content in celebration of the java-filled day. I think a lot of the non-coffee businesses used it as a way to jump in on the conversation in hopes of increasing engagement. It reminds me of the Mean Girls phrase, “She doesn’t even go here!”, but I do think that everyone should be able to jump in on the celebration no matter what their business is. Besides, USA Today said 83 percent of us drink it!

• Cassandra Weller says:

I love your use of the Mean Girls phrase! I agree that it does increase engagement and why not have non-related companies jump in and have some fun. I think overall it makes fun holidays like National Coffee Day interesting and keeps people on their toes.

3. Morgan Rath says:

I think it’s important for businesses to interact on social media even if the topic is not necessarily related to the business. Social media is all about engaging with the public. I think businesses would be foolish not to engage. And let’s be honest, who doesn’t love coffee? It’s a broad interest that you can use to connect with almost any audience.

• Cassandra Weller says:

I completely agree that companies should utilize social media anyway possible. I actually liked the non-related companies’ posts more than McDonalds and Starbucks because everyone already knew what the related companies are going to post.