The Force Awakens Too Soon?

The movie is still two months away from theatrical release but the hype has already begun for the anticipated new Star Wars movie, The Force Awakens.

During halftime of Monday night’s football game, a new trailer for the movie premiered and advance tickets went on sale.

Fans flocked to sites Fandango and Movie Tickets to purchase their passes. According to Variety Magazine, ticket sales are eight times higher than the previous leading movie in advanced sales, Hunger Games. There are theaters sold out of tickets with many more expected.

Lucasfilm, the company behind Star Wars that was bought by Disney, has released various products and toys for the film, which hit store shelves during the summer. Now you can’t walk down the toy, clothing or home décor aisle of major stores without being bombarded by Star Wars merchandise.

Star-Wars-toys-580_SRag

But is all the hype hurting the movie? That’s what Lou Lumenick, a writer for the New York Post thinks. In his article, “I’m So Sick of the ‘Star Wars’ Hype” he writes, “I’m turned off by Disney’s nonstop, multipronged 24/7 marketing campaign — the relentless teaser snippets they’ve been force-feeding us for what feels like the last five years. And then there’s the breathless, constant coverage by media.”

Do you think that movie companies are promoting movies too soon? Have you bought any of the new Star Wars merchandise? Are you sick of all the hype surrounding the movie or is it just pumping you up for the release?

This entry was posted in Zephyr PR and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to The Force Awakens Too Soon?

1. Lauren Thompson says:

I can see both sides of the argument when it comes to Star Wars’ marketing strategy. On one hand, any product with a Star Wars logo may excite long-term fans of the series. As someone who grew up watching and loving the franchise, I shamelessly enjoy seeing my favorite characters appear on my coffee creamer or some other branded product, and it builds my already strong excitement for the new movie.

On the other hand, I’m not sure this merchandising approach will resonate with people who do not have an existing emotional attachment to the franchise. Will people who have avoided a cultural phenomenon like Star Wars for years – maybe even decades – finally see the new movies simply because they’re being promoted heavily on other products? It’s not like this is the first time most people will become aware of the series; it’s been in the forefront of pop culture for quite some time. I’m not sure this approach will be what convinces the holdouts to finally give the series a chance.