Snapchat By The Numbers

Do you use Snapchat? For personal use, right? Well, it may surprise you that many companies use the app as a social media tool for brand messaging. A recent tweet from PRNews announced a webinar, “How to Use Snapchat to Enhance Your Brand’s Messaging,” and because I use the app on a daily basis, I never realized how influential the app is from a marketing standpoint.

According to PRNews, four billion snaps are viewed daily and there are currently more than 100 million daily active users — or 18 percent of all social media users in the U.S. Another article from Fast Company brought up a report from Comscore that found Snapchat as the third most popular social app among 18-34-year-olds behind Facebook and Instagram, but ahead of Twitter, Pinterest and Vine. Then, the report narrowed the audience to the 18-24-year-old group and found the app has 50 percent penetration. So…if a company is trying to target Millennials and it’s not on Snapchat, it’s missing a huge untapped audience.

A few brands have dialed into their audience, embraced the challenge of quickly disappearing advertisements and tackled Snapchat brand messaging because they keep their campaign goals in mind. For instance, McDonalds became the first company to have their own geofilter, the Discover feature in Snapchat that allows brands like ESPN and National Geographic to share content with users. Taco Bell used the app to introduce their Spicy Chicken Cool Ranch Doritos Locos Tacos through their story feed.

Snapchat's "Story" presented by Fanscape

Snapchat’s “Story” presented by Fanscape

With all these numbers showing how much potential Snapchat can generate as a powerful brand messaging tool, can you think of companies not on Snapchat yet should be? Or companies that don’t belong on Snapchat? It is clear that Snapchat attracts a younger demographic, so what are ways a company can engage with that audience? How does a brand resonate with this crowd when their narrative disappears after 24 hours?

This entry was posted in Peak PR. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Snapchat By The Numbers

1. Brittani Gomez says:

I believe SnapChat has a huge potential for smaller companies as a way to market to many audiences. Since SnapChat gathers snaps from all across the world, compiles them together in stories it is a great way to connect with people from all over. Also companies such as Cosmo and CNN have their own stories that millions of people see all the time. The way that people interact is they are constantly tapping their screen to flip through their friends story in order to see it before it’s gone. For me personally it’s almost like clock-work. I wake up and make sure to check my feed on all social media. It is my way to get the “news” from my friends and then I research other information going on in the world. I feel like Snap connects more with younger audiences but it is not to say that older generations won’t use it. I guess it just depends on the appeal the company has with its audience and how well the company markets their SnapChat use.

2. Siera Whitten says:

Brittany, thanks for your response. I agree with you– if a company wants to utilize Snap Chat as a brand messaging tool, they will have to be conscious of who their audience is and how they can market their Snap Chats to an “older” than millenial audience as well as the demographics that are already avid Snap Chat users.