FB Rumors Latest Hoax

Yet again, many Facebook users fell for the classic hoax. Rumors circulated this week about now paying for Facebook, users’ privacy in danger and content completely under Facebook’s control. Many users wanted to make sure that all of their friends knew of their disapproval, so as a result, they posted lengthy a status of Facebook’s supposed plans and their rights.

Similar to the several recent hoaxes that have emerged, Facebook debunked the rumors by posting, “While there may be water on Mars, don’t believe everything you read on the Internet. Facebook is free and always will be. And the thing about copying and pasting a legal notice is just a hoax. Stay safe out there Earthlings!”
pic

And just like that, users returned to their normal posting, sharing and chatting with friends on Facebook, as if nothing happened. How does Facebook manage to recover so quickly from these potentially damaging rumors? Why do users seem to forget about the rumor until the next one emerges?

There is a level of dependency that users have on Facebook. Mark Zuckerberg did an incredible job at creating a platform that is different from other social media websites. Facebook simply acts as the hub for everything in people’s lives. Users can display their own life in whatever light they want, they can view their friends all in one spot, stay up-to-date with the latest news and local events, and even view advertisements that are tailored to their interests.

This dependency is something organizations need to create for their members, users or customers, to be successful. There should be features or some unique benefit that people feel makes their lives better. Simply put, we rely on Facebook each and every day, and have incorporated it into our lives.

Facebook, once again, did not let their users down. They put an end to the hoax by releasing a statement before their users began to panic. Their quick response and call to action are the reasons they avoided a potential crisis.

Do you agree?

4 Responses to FB Rumors Latest Hoax

1. Hannah Johnston says:

I completely agree that Facebook did a great job on addressing the issues from the “privacy leak.” I also really appreciate that they did it with humor and grace, they made light of everyone overreacting. The one thing with how powerful Facebook has become is that they are watched when anything like this happens, and I think it is great that they did not just ignore what their users were doing. I also think the whole thing was great that people thought copying and pasting a status was going to protect them.

2. Teresa Joseph says:

Facebook typically does a great job in communicating with their users. On my Facebook there was a lot of people believing in this recent hoax and Facebook did an excellent job in telling the public that it was fake in a humorous way. Although Facebook gained a slight positive image through this post, they still face a lot of backlash because of their privacy disclaimer.

Also, this positive post didn’t take the attention away from Mark Zuckerberg, the CEO of Facebook, who is being accused of fraud by his neighbor. As the lawsuit continues, it’ll be interesting to see how much Zuckerberg’s personal life affects the company.

3. Cattarina Lovins says:

In the case of Facebook, they handled the situation beautifully because they took down a viral hoax message by creating a new viral message in a comical way that translates well over social media and the Internet. I agree that organizations need to build their brands with the notion of designing products and services that become so ingrained and incorporated with every day life that consumers rely on them. However, these organizations should also be mindful of their audience. Making a product that everyone relies on is too broad of a target audience when an organization is just starting out or launching a totally new product or service.

4. Cassandra Weller says:

I think that most people who are aware of hoaxes in general understand that these will constantly pop-up from people that just like to get a reaction from people. I believe that’s why people get over them so quickly, it happens way too often and users are just used to them. I do agree that Facebook’s quick response did avoid a crisis because it only takes a few people to take a hoax and run with it.