Custom Emoji Rings Taco Bell

Apple just released a software update featuring new emojis. Emojis are icons or emoticons available on Apple mobile devices. Recent additions to the emoji keyboard include an eye roll, a unicorn and even a hand signifying Spock’s “live long and prosper.”

However, one new addition to the emoji keyboard has been a long time coming, as far as one brand is concerned:

Taco Bell Tweets Taco Emojis

Taco Bell has been campaigning for a taco emoji for months, going as far as creating a change.org petition that received more than 30,000 signatures. The desire for a taco emoji has been well covered via their official social media accounts. So naturally, when the update was revealed with the taco emoji, the brand considered it a success.

Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 3.31.28 PM

Taco Bell’s social influence is hard to deny. With more than 1.6 million followers on Twitter alone, the brand definitely has a far reach. But these followers appear to be invested in the brand, as well with several joining the brand in celebrating this latest addition to the emoji keyboard.

Taco Bell fans celebrate new taco emoji Taco Bell fan celebrates new taco emoji

Taco Bell’s ability to leverage their audience behind a “cause” to eventually sway Apple to include a taco emoji in their latest update reflects the influential of Taco Bell’s social presence.

What do you think of Taco Bell’s social media strategy? How do you think the use of emojis will continue to play a role in online communications?

This entry was posted in Connect PR and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Custom Emoji Rings Taco Bell

1. Catherine Hahne says:

Whenever social media is brought into a PR campaign, it usually boosts the success of it. A good example is the Facebook group that was created to have Betty White host Saturday Night Live.
    Using social media makes the campaign more personal and it helps reach one of the most influential generations, the Millenials.

Emojis have become a standard in today’s digital communication. Emojis are used for almost any reason you can think. I know that I am excited that there is finally a taco emoji on my iPhone and I know the rest of America is excited for it as well.

2. Megann Jakubek says:

I think that the use of emojis in online communications will die down after the hype of the new emoji launch is over. It’s difficult to get a message across solely using emojis. What does Taco Bell plan on doing… will they insert a taco emoji after every message they tweet out? I think that will get old soon.

3. Mariah Hurst says:

I think engaging with Millennials and their obsession with emojis was a very smart move for Taco Bell. They started with the change.org petition (which I think is hilarious) then moved to other social media platforms to express the need for a taco emoji, something we didn’t even know we needed until Taco Bell told us. Their efforts were fruitful but that doesn’t mean Taco Bell’s work is done. Now, they should follow the incredible example set by Domino’s. Domino’s has the option to text the pizza emoji to a number to initiate a pizza delivery to your door. Taco Bell doesn’t offer delivery, but can offer discounts or “secret menu” items to those that include the taco emoji and the @tacobell tag on Twitter.
    I have no idea how long the emoji craze will last, but companies should be using them and having fun with it while they’re still around!