Burberry Channels Apple Music

obsev-style-burberry-apple-music-app-cover_2Burberry strutted its stuff on the runway right into the music industry. With the introduction of Apple Music, Burberry is the first company to create a brand-led channel.

Burberry isn’t a novice in the music industry. In 2010, the British fashion icon started the Burberry Acoustic sessions on YouTube. This was the brand’s first musical dip into lifestyle marketing. This channel featured British artists.

Burberry will again feature British artists, such as Lilla Vargen, on its Apple Music channel. Performances, videos and songs that have resulted from Burberry’s work with British musicians are the focus.

The partnership of Burberry and Apple Music was expected after Apple hired Burberry’s chief executive, Angela Ahrendts, in 2013.

Apple-Music-Burberry

Lifestyle branding is not a new concept. Brands that embrace lifestyle marketing have “transitioned their positioning from focusing on functional attributes to featuring their products as representing a lifestyle,” Alexander Chernev from Ad Age said. Lifestyle marketing promotes a sense of greater connectivity between a consumer and brand because it invites their self-identity and self-chosen lifestyle to line up with their chosen brands.

Burberry’s partnership with Apple Music raises one major PR concern — cross-brand friction. Burberry’s iconic status as a vanguard of class and timelessness may be in jeopardy as a result of its link to Apple, a relatively new company based on speed and innovation.

Do you think the brand tenets of Burberry and Apple will clash?

This entry was posted in Alpha Media. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Burberry Channels Apple Music

1. Catherine Hahne says:

This is a fantastic idea. It allows such an iconic brand, like Burberry, to spread their brand a little further. Burberry is known for its expensive clothes and classic fashion. So why not have this transcend into the entire style look and have music for Burberry consumers. This is allowing the consumers to experience Burberry on a whole new level.

Not only is this allowing the consumer to experience Burberry on a new level, they are featuring British artists and showcasing their origin. Who knows where this could lead. Maybe Burberry will start their own music label.

2. Tyler Otremba says:

I think it is great to see two completely different brands working together. Although these two brands have different audiences and products they still want the same thing. They appeal to class, sophistication and are associated with some form of wealth. I can however, see it being an issue in the aspect of Burberry being a company that remains classic and not really changing and Apple being a company that releases a completely new design every two years. If I walked into someone on the street wearing a Burberry coat from seven years ago, I would still know the brand because the coat looks, for the most part, the same. However, the only way I’d be able to recognize an iPhone 3G is if I saw the Apple logo, because the design has changed so much.

3. Teresa Joseph says:

I think this is a really interesting topic. I’ve seen a lot of companies start to promote their brands as lifestyles and I think this is a great way to make the consumer feel more connected. Especially when you’re dealing with an expensive, upper class brand I think it adds an extra value. The only thing I’d be worried about with Burberry having their own channel with Apple Music is with their promotion of artists because it’s outside of what they are familiar with. It’s like Pepsi creating a mobile phone. Everyone is just asking “why?”

4. Brittani Gomez says:

I think that the one conflict that could come from this partnership is the clash of company values. As explained, Apple is very innovative and fast moving whereas Burberry is steadfast and established. It’s not to say that Apple isn’t established, it’s just that they move in different directions than Burberry at much different speeds. I think that if they use their backgrounds and their industries in the right way, everything will work out well and there could be a lot of great things to come out of this.

5. Alexandria Coleman says:

The idea of lifestyle branding is an interesting approach that can be highly effective, especially with established brands such as Burberry and Apple. Brands must have the devoted following first before attempting this kind of branding initiative. Considering Apple’s nearly cult-like following (I can say that because I am part of it), lifestyle branding is a good fit. Whether Burberry is necessarily the best partner, I am not so sure because I think there is a relatively small overlap in their audiences—which I say only because of how diverse Apple’s customers are. I also feel, as other commenters have mentioned, that Apple’s fast-paced culture of innovation is very different from Burberry’s. Apple is known to have fairly strict policies concerning the release of their information as well, which may differ from what Burberry does. However, I do not think this partnership has the capacity to really cause problems with any of these differences. I feel this partnership is such a small segment of Apple’s business that any brand differences will have little impact on the whole.