BK Flips ‘Peace Burger’ in Fast-Food War

In an article in USA Today, a major campaign war is ongoing involving McDonalds and Burger King.

Burger King designed the “Peace Burger” and created a full-page ad stating that McDonalds and Burger King should set aside their beef and design a Whopper together for World Peace Day. McDonalds declined the offer.

The two fast-food giants are in a marketing war each with the same goal — to design a burger for World Peace Day in support of ending world hunger.

The Burger to end world hunger

The Burger to end world hunger ‘Peace Burger’

Since McDonalds refused to jump on board with Burger King, other partners joined BK including MasterCard and McCain Foods.

Burger King’s hashtag has appeared all over Twitter as #PeaceDayBurger and is going viral. Within the fast-food industry, despite McDonalds rejecting the potential collaboration between the two chains, Burger King’s campaign is taking off and doing extremely well.

If you were McDonalds executives and presented the proposal to team up with Burger King for World Peace Day, would you accept or deny the offer?

This entry was posted in Zephyr PR. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to BK Flips ‘Peace Burger’ in Fast-Food War

1. Brittani Gomez says:

I find this story very interesting because I was reading about how BK is trying to merge with other companies like Wendy’s and other fast food chains to take down competition and maybe this is where the whole thing started. I find it interesting that McDonalds would turn down the offer but not totally surprising. The reason that it isn’t too surprising is because McDonalds has a name for itself and a world known name at that; they are not willing to combine efforts because maybe they feel their “well-known” enough to do a peace burger on their own. If I the PR professional working on behalf of McDonalds I honestly think I would take some time to make a decision just because I would want to research how our audience is viewing our company at that point in time. I would also want to see what my competators are doing and what campaigns they have going on now. Look at BK black burger, they are taking advantage of their research and bringing a new item to the table and something that has already been very successful in another country. These types of findings could sway my decision and make me really think about how well McDonalds could stand alone in this peace burger battle.