App Creates ‘Wolfpack’

Can you picture using an app to meet new friends with similar interests? With today’s technology, it’s possible and now available. Brian Solis mentions a new app, called Wolfpack in his Oct 15th blog post. Wolfpack is used specifically for guys seeking friends with similar interests. When the app is downloaded, you enter your hobbies then based on location, the app will suggest upcoming events or let you to create your own event.

Nile Niami, creator of Wolfpack, was inspired to design the app because of his friend’s divorce. Marriage took a toll on his friend’s social life and after being married for 20 years, he lost track of old friends. It’s hard to create new friendships, but with the help of Wolfpack you can geo-locate potential new friends in the area with similar interests. Solis, who compared the app to Foursquare, believes this app is contributing to the rise of “social nicheworks.” Solis travels extensively and when at home he works on research or his next book project. He admits that sometimes your best friends are unavailable or don’t even share some of your interests, for example, seeing your favorite band perform live.

I personally I like the name Wolfpack; it reminds me of the movie The Hangover.  I think this app is a great way to use social media to make real world connections.

Solis made an excellent point. He says the app, “facilitates momentary friendships that offer realistic shots at longer-term friendships.”

What do you think of the app? Would you use it? Do you think Wolfpack will catch on? Do you think similar “social nichework” apps will appear in the future?

This entry was posted in Alpha Media and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.