Doritos Launches LGBTQ Campaign

The Doritos brand is no stranger to creating fun, exciting flavors for their savory line of tortilla chips.  This week, the company brilliantly released a surprise campaign consisting of rainbow-colored chips in support of the LGBTQ community.

doritos campaign

Screenshot of Doritos’ Instagram post.
www.instagram.com/doritos/

Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 10.05.25 PM

Screenshot of Doritos’ Instagram post. www.instagram.com/doritos/

For this campaign, which proved to be successful, Doritos partnered with the It Gets Better Project intending to generate donations for the project which supports LGBTQ youth around the world. Supporters were asked to donate a minimum of $10 to the project and they would be mailed one of the limited-edition bags.

The rainbow, cool-ranch flavored chips sold out in a matter of hours.

In the meantime, those who are interested in the message and the campaign are encouraged to engage their communities through the social media platforms. Two areas where this has been particularly successful are Instagram and Twitter. Celebrities have similarly jumped on the bandwagon. It’s no secret that Miley Cyrus is both an avid and outspoken supporter of LGBTQ youth–even starting her own foundation. She shared her support of Doritos Rainbows on her Instagram account and has received more then 275,000 likes from her nearly 29 million followers.

miley cyrus instagram post

Screenshot of Miley Cyrus’ Instagram post in support of Doritos Rainbows. www.instagram.com/mileycyrus/

The power behind the campaign lies in the hashtag #BOLDANDBETTER. It’s meant to generate support and conversation around the support of the LGBTQ community and youth. Users of the hashtag are encouraged to share inspiring stories or words of inspiration surrounding self-realization and self-appreciation.

This entry was posted in Zephyr PR and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Doritos Launches LGBTQ Campaign

1. Alex Sorrell says:

I think the reason that this campaign worked so well is that Doritos actually did something by requiring the $10 donation versus just release a rainbow version. They talked the talk and walked the walk.

“Pinkwashing” is the new vogue for a lot of brands these days. According to a Google Consumer Survey, Millennials are 45% more likely to do repeat business with an LGBT friendly company, but it’s very easy to look insincere and like a brand is using a community’s struggle for its own personal benefit.

Some brands, like Absolut Vodka, have long catered to the LGBT community and done it well, but many mainstream brands seem to stop at just having a LGBT couple in their ad. Doritos’ campaign should be a prime example of how a campaign should build goodwill through action and not just advertisement.

2. Kimberly Linn says:

I feel this campaign has real potential for the same points Alex made in the comment above me. Doritos is trying to establish a stance of support for the LGBT community beyond creating rainbow-colored chips for a limited time offer. The company is requesting a minimum $10 donation that goes back into this community.

My next question would we where can people find them?

3. Alexandra Long says:

If I had been a part of the team that was charged with developing the best way to connect with the LGBT community, I may have been wary of this approach. I think Alex hit the nail on the head when he pinpointed exactly why it was met with success. But I don’t think I ever would have signed off on a campaign based on colorful chips.

Again, I agree with Alex. I think Doritos just barely squeezed through the keyhole in the door between “sincere” and “insincere.” Pinkwashing was a real danger here. Perhaps another way to go about the campaign without adopting a marginalized community’s expressions to sell chips (which is how this campaign could have been received), would have been to make a public donation to the It Gets Better project and create a sincere ad spot that conveys a similar message of alliance.

Good for Doritos that this worked out. I would have been too wary of this approach to get behind it. Can anyone else see how badly this could have gone?

4. Asia Poole says:

I am extremely excited about this campaign. I believe often times company are afraid to jump into a controversial topic because they fear that it will cost them some consumers. I always say there’s no reward without risk. American society today absolutely loves the idea of people standing up for a matter of the people and they love seeing people express their opinions.

By doing this, Doritos is really showing that they care about more than sales and that they have more to offer. This was also a crucial time to show support for the LGBTQ community with the backlash from some people on the decision to legalize same-sex marriage. I believe more companies should consider taking a stand on a social issues or supporting a certain side, this way their consumers can feel more connected to them.

5. Catherine Hahne says:

This campaign has all the components to have a fully successful campaign.
    First of all they are having donations of $10 to go to the It Gets Better Project. This gives the campaign even more credibility in the sense that there are guaranteed donations going to the project and they are not just promoting the project.

Secondly the social media portion of this campaign seemed to blow up due to the celebrity interest in the campaign. Whenever celebrities want to help with a campaign or project the project immediately gains more credibility and helps to promote the campaign with their own followers.

This is such a hot topic in today’s society of LGBT teens and the trouble they face. This campaign was launched in the heat of the LGBT controversy that still surrounds around gay marriage. With Doritos supporting gay marriage and equality for all more are willing to purchase Doritos because of what they stand for.

6. Teresa Joseph says:

I think this is a great campaign for Doritos. Their rainbow Doritos really make a statement and it allows Doritos to make a stronger relationship with a community many companies have neglected to connect with.

By making the Doritos, special edition and limited availability, it really added value to what Doritos was doing. It not only makes you feel like you’re giving back to the community, but it also makes you feel like you’re doing something special. I’m curious to see if this is something Doritos will continue to do or if it’s a one-time thing. Is it something that is more effective just doing once or will making it an annual thing be more beneficial for the campaign?

7. Jasmine Safaie says:

I love how the campaign not only connects the company to its consumers, but connects the company’s consumers as well with the #boldandbetter hashtag. Something I didn’t notice until now is how they tie the word bold, a word they use to describe the flavor of the chips, with the campaign. They really did an excellent job with the whole concept in the way that everything is related and relevant to both the company and the cause it’s supporting.

8. Megann Jakubek says:

I feel that a campaign can really skyrocket when a popular celebrity endorses or re-shares the campaign content. The $10 donation aspect appeals to consumers who get the warm, fuzzy feeling when they feel they are making a difference. I found this campaign to be compelling and I can see other snack brands joining in on the idea.

9. Allyson Gerrard says:

What a great cause for the campaign. Doritos did an excellent job of incorporating LGBT rights and their brand. For only $10, you get a limited edition Doritos bag and you can support a great cause. That’s not a bad offer at all. I would’ve never heard about this campaign if it wasn’t for this blog post, but I’m sure it will gain more attention when more celebrities pick it up. Alex mentioned above that there was no advertisement done and I think that’s a more genuine way to raise awareness. I’m actually surprised Skittles didn’t think of a campaign like this, especially because they’re already rainbow colored.

10. Elissa Harrison says:

I think this is an interesting stance for a company to take. It either can hinder them or hurt them. A great example would be when the Chick-fil-A founder spoke openly about his opinion of gay rights and the LGBTQ community. This caused tons of negative attention towards the company and turned a lot of people off to the company. Though I don’t think this campaign will experience as much heat or attack, this may turn off current consumers from this product because they chose to take this political stance. A company needs to be careful on stances it takes because their stances start to be associated with their brand. I do like the fact that the chips are multi-colored as well as promoting civic engagement whether or not I agree with the stance.