Doritos Brand Embraces ‘Rainbow’

A surprising shift from the brand’s traditional orange-themed bag, Doritos released a new rainbow chip bag this week to show support for the LGBT community.

pack

According to an article in PR Week, media platforms were buzzing over the concept soon after the Doritos Rainbows press release was published. There was an overwhelmingly positive response for the rainbow bag and people were eager to support such a cause.

Doritos joined forces with the It Gets Better Project in hopes to inspire and support the LGBT youth. The mission of the project is to communicate to the LGBT community that “it gets better” and help spread awareness and inspire positive changes, according to the project website. The rainbow bags are not sold in stores, but they are available online for supporters who donate $10 or more to the It Gets Better Project.

Doritos also launched the hashtag #BoldandBetter to encourage people to share their personal stories. This was a brilliant way to tie the whole message together that it does get better by creating a link for the LGBT community to read and relate to one another’s messages. The hashtag concept also expanded Doritos’ reach on social media tenfold. Not only are they supporting a major cause, but increasing their social media audience greatly at the same time.

Do you think joining forces with inspiring projects will start a trend for major companies? It has been done in the past no doubt, but maybe not with this execution. I think we are going to start seeing more partnerships like this one in the future and I’m all for it!

This entry was posted in Connect PR. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Doritos Brand Embraces ‘Rainbow’

1. Alexandria Coleman says:

I actually hadn’t heard about this campaign, but I think it is incredibly bold on Doritos’ part. Taking a stand on social issues can be very risky for companies, but I think Doritos nailed it, largely because they are very aware of their audience. I don’t know the specifics of Doritos’ customer demographics, but I would guess that Doritos consumers tend to be much younger than consumers of other products. Their young target audience (and the fact they did their research on this audience) is what made this campaign work.

As far as this kind of campaign/partnership becoming the norm, I think we have been on our way toward that for quite some time. Corporate social responsibility has played an increasingly important role in our society and I expect that trend will continue well into the future. As someone who hopes to work in the nonprofit sector, I certainly hope so. We should all be striving to make the world a better place and I believe corporations should not be an exception to that.

• Jasmine Safaie says:

You bring up an interesting point about taking a stand on social issues. It can be risky, yes, so I’m curious to know what kind of research Doritos did, if any, prior to committing to the campaign. I would imagine they tried to gain a full understanding of their customers and what their opinions are on such a topic.

Yes, I suppose this potential trend would be good news for nonprofit companies. It seems like a win-win for everyone!

2. Megan Brown says:

I love that we both happened to write about the same topic! I had some additional thoughts to add after reading over what you had to say. One question I believe we both neglected to pose what how quickly would the Doritos campaign have spread if it had not paid for promotional tweets and Instagram posts to appear in everyone’s feeds? Their decision to do so certainly widened the reach of their campaign, but I just thought it would be a good talking point.

• Jasmine Safaie says:

That is a good question, Megan! Since support for the LGBT community is such a trending topic, I imagine it would still have garnered a lot of media attention. However, I’m sure paying for promotions had a great deal to do with the success of the campaign.

3. Margaret Staniforth says:

I definitely think it is smart for companies to partner with organizations that are involved in the community. The partnerships tie products to trends and movements. It is also a great opportunity for a company to show an interest in, and offer support to, their consumers. I really like the idea that consumers must donate $10 in order to receive a bag of the rainbow Doritos. It encourages consumers to connect with the company online and it offers a sense of novelty to the product.

• Jasmine Safaie says:

I like how you brought up the opportunity campaigns like this one present of showing interest in a company’s consumers. There are so many brilliant aspects this concept holds, and connecting a company to its consumers is an important one. The ability to tie products to trends not only expands the audience reach, but keeps the product current and fresh as well.

4. Erin Mondt says:

I absolutely love this campaign and think this was a great move for the Doritos PR team. I could see this campaign getting even more hype if they released it right after same-sex was legalized in June. However, people have been supportive of the LGBT community now more than ever and are more willing to express their views on social media platforms. I think it is great that celebrities are getting involved for a great cause. Yes, I do think joining forces with inspiring projects can start a trend for major companies and it would be smart for them to get involved. I love the simplicity of the Doritos bag, the message, and its purpose. This is PR at its finest!

• Jasmine Safaie says:

Excellent point, Erin. I wonder if the legalization of same-sex marriage was an inspiration for the Doritos team. It just goes to show how important it is to keep up-to-date with trending topics when working in our field, even if it seems irrelevant to your client or market.

5. Kate Sitter says:

I think this is a great example of brands partnering with a major trend. One concern of this approach is the potential backlash from those who do not support the movement. In general, a Pew Research student found that younger generations support gay marriage. In 2015, 70 percent of millennials supported gay marriage, compared to 59 percent of generation X, 45 percent of baby boomers, and 39 percent of the silent generation. (http://www.pewforum.org/2015/07/29/graphics-slideshow-changing-attitudes-on-gay-marriage/) Pew found that support for gay marriage is increasing each year.

This is important because if a cause is not well-supported, partnering with such a trend could be detrimental to the brand. In this case, I do think it was advisable for Doritos to partner with the #BoldandBetter. In order for me to advise Doritos, I would want to know what age group purchases Doritos the most. If it were the silent generation, least supportive of the movement, I wouldn’t suggest it. But if millennials and generation X are main purchases, I would advise for partnering with #BoldandBetter. The results speak for themselves as well. I do think that brands partnering with causes will become a larger trend. It connects with consumers’ personal interests. It goes beyond traditional push marketing by engaging a civic-minded issue.

6. Brittani Gomez says:

I definitely think that this is a great idea for companies big or small. If they have the opportunity to partner with different programs, companies and organizations it not only opens doors for both, but also creates an even bigger platform to get the message across. Since social media is becoming more prominent in everyday life, the hashtag brings awareness to Doritos’ affiliation with “It Gets Better Project” and creates a place for people to share ideas and communicate about how they feel about this new relationship.

I also think that we have been on the fast track to having these partnerships become a normal thing. I think it was a great idea for Doritos to take this step because now they are at the forefront of this movement and can shape the coming partnerships as well. If this campaign is successful (which it seems to be already) other companies are going to replicate their campaign and possibly come to them for insight and direction.

7. Cassandra Weller says:

I love the idea that companies are partnering up with various causes to bring awareness to different situations. I first heard about the rainbow colored Doritos on social media, I have yet to see them in stores or know someone who has bought them. Even though I’m not the biggest fan of Doritos, I would definitely buy these if I came across them. I believe their use of social media has really promoted this. I would love to see companies partner with more causes. It actually makes me want to buy the product when it’s going to a great cause, even if I normally don’t buy it.

8. Juliet Moo says:

By now, it should be no surprise that Doritos’ campaign is a major success. That being said, I’d like to point out that one of the reasons why this campaign received such positive responses is because of the timing. About three months ago, the decision to legalize gay marriage has brought upon not only a national hype, but also an international hype on the subject matter. People all around the world were showing their support through celebratory gatherings and social media.

Doritos’ campaign managed to remind the public of this revolutionary decision that was made three months ago. While showing support to the LGBTQ community, Doritos gave the public an actual opportunity to support the community, which is through donation.

The entire execution of this campaign was simply remarkable, and definitely something all PR practitioners could learn from.

9. Brittany DIerken says:

I think Doritos really hit the nail on this one, because they grabbed the attention of the millennials and the LGBTQ community that is gaining momentum. It is not unusual for a company to partner with a charity, but the campaign put the “It Gets Better Project” on center stage. Doritos grabbed the attention of a new demographic and became relevant again. This campaign has all the parts to be successful. The main idea behind the bag is to support the LGBTQ community and actually give to receive a limited bag of Doritos. I think it is vital to see that this campaign did turn a profit and created awareness for the charity and Doritos. The hashtag #BoldandBetter was also a great way for stories to be shared. The only thing I question is once someone donates online and receives their bag in the mail, are the chips all crushed up and become crumbs? By mailing the product, does it give the products full effect or what is left of it once you receive it in the mail? Partnerships happen quite frequently like this, but the execution is what made everyone be aware and want to donate. I just question the execution of delivering the product through the mail.