Blogging Vital to Client Storytelling

Aly Saxe, founder of Iris PR Software, returned to her alma mater, Arizona State University on Sept 21 to speak with current students. In her public interview at Must See Monday with Reynolds Visiting Professor of Journalism Entrepreneurship Alan Lobock, Saxe said that some of the most important people writing about her product are not traditional journalists, but bloggers. As blogging proves to be an important form of communication, it’s vital for PR professionals to learn how to do it effectively.

Allindiewriters.com features a section on their website dedicated to helping professionals become more comfortable with entering the blogosphere and maintaining a site.

Jennifer Mattern offers advice on Allindiewriters.com to make blogging an easier experience. In her September 2015 article, Mindly: A Simple, Beautiful Mind Mapping App, Mattern offers a tool to help with organizing thoughts before starting to write. Mattern’s articles offer advice on issues ranging from pulling content inspiration from your favorite books to organizing time around 5-minute lists.

In her article How Books Can Help You Come Up With Blog Post Ideas, Mattern wrote about her solutions to the monthly struggle of planning a content calendar.

“Books are fantastic idea generators for bloggers,” wrote Mattern. “You already know a market exists for the type of content they contain. You can use them as source material to expand on topics they cover (bonus points if you bring the book’s author into it for an interview).”

PR professionals know that clients’ have a plethora of stories to tell about the creation of their product, their struggle to accomplish their goals and the inspiration behind their success. Finding a known blogger or starting a blog to promote a product or service is an effective way to tell a client’s story. Does your client have a trait or passion that you could highlight in a blog post? What part of your client’s story would you pitch to a blogger?

This entry was posted in Peak PR and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Blogging Vital to Client Storytelling

1. Asia Poole says:

Margaret, I’m glad you blogged about this because I’ve always believed that blogging your story is a very important branding technique. Being transparent and as personal as possible is my main focus when consulting. I believe it is so helpful because it is widely known that most bloggers are not paid by sponsors to say specific things; blogs are as powerful as customer reviews these days (if not more). Finding the interesting part of your client’s story is probably the hardest part of blogging for myself, especially when the client is categorized as cultural. It’s hard to narrow down the items we could write about. I don’t think I would pitch to bloggers; I would put my energy into blogging from our site and increasing the SEO, which will give me bloggers interest and they will write on their own.

2. Kimberly Linn says:

I really appreciated Aly’s encouragement for other companies to start reaching out and catering to the blogging community. This is a growing issue for many organizations. These organizations are opting into one of two mindsets about the blogosphere: 1) They exist, but they are just a fad that will fade or 2) Blogs are not real journalism, therefore won’t generate a huge impact on their organization. Both of these mindsets are incorrect. Blogs have been around for quite some time know, and the popularity of blogs is growing. I discovered these views of the blogosphere this summer at my internship. My supervisors tasked me with initializing their first attempts at communicating and partnering with Mommy Blogs. This shocked me. I could not believe an organization focused on the welfare of children had not already established strong relationships with this audience.

3. Megann Jakubek says:

I think bloggers are a great media channel to reach out to when pitching story ideas for your client. Mom bloggers and tech bloggers have become extremely popular and can be found in almost all regions of the United States. There are also local blogs with event calendars that can be useful if your client would like to promote an upcoming event.

4. Taylor Holmes says:

I completely agree that blogging is vital to client storytelling. Bloggers sometimes have a larger following than some news reporters, and can be true influencers and thought leaders in their fields. My client, Snap Fitness, has a personal trainer who is very well known in the military community, and I think he would be a great feature on a blog. He works with Navy Seals, so a quick Q&A with him and a sample workout could be a great addition to a fitness blogger’s site.