‘Tubing’ It to Stardom

The last generation of entertainment stars found their starts on TV shows like The Mickey Mouse Club and Barney. Today’s stars are getting famous in a different way — branding themselves through their individual YouTube channels.

The social media network has become big business for personalities who can attract an audience. According to ViralBlog, every 60 seconds: users upload 100 hours of video, people view at least 2.7 million videos and YouTube star PewDiePie makes $13.31 (or about $7 million a year).

youtube minute

Mid September, YouTube announced a new way to fund these stars. According to Forbes, “The video platform said … it will invest in the creative types who have risen to Internet stardom on YouTube.” Now, instead of just making money from advertisements on videos, these stars will be paid by YouTube directly to produce content for the network.

It’s a worthy investment for the social network, as many of these YouTube stars are becoming more popular and recognizable than traditional celebrities among younger generations. There is even an annual awards show for the biggest names on the Web.

Untitled

The key to this rising stardom is the ability of the entertainers to speak directly to their fans. The Huffington Post describes this connection as “real” because the stars can say what they want without network oversight or fancy production.

Topics of channels range in topics from video games streamed live to travel blogs and everything in between.

No matter the topic, the Top 10 stars of the network average 121 videos created on their channels and more than 3.1 million subscribers, according to New Media Rockstars.

Untitled2

If you take the advice of this infographic, it is within your reach to become a YouTube star. All it takes is time, consistency and .61 percent of YouTube’s average visitors. You can do that, right?

Now with funding from YouTube and easy access to social media watched by millions of viewers, these Internet stars should have no problem continuing their rise to fame and building a large cache among younger audiences, leading to brands wanting them in place of more traditional celebrity endorsements. Do you have what it takes to be the next big YouTube brand?

This entry was posted in V Integrated and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to ‘Tubing’ It to Stardom

1. Nicole Barrett says:

These are very interesting infographics, I think the Cronkite School definitely provides us with a lot of experience and teaching to become potential YouTube stars. After taking Online Media and being enrolled in Advanced Online Media this semester, I feel like teachers really encourage students to post their own “vlogs” and create their own websites and digital portfolios. I’m not sure if I have the time or expertise to become a professional YouTube star, but I think my knowledge and experience from the digital material I have learned at the Cronkite School sets me up well to be perceived highly by potential employers and hopefully land a job after college. I definitely appreciate the experience I have from my videography course, and that I have a YouTube account to showcase my skills.