Apple’s New Releases Hit or Miss?

Media hits exploded when Apple announced plans to expand its product line.

With coverage from nearly every major news outlet, Apple created a phenomena about the coveted new iPhone release Sept 19.

Some highlights from this reveal: Apple Watch, a new product featuring both a traditional time face and the signature applications menu, along with the 4.7 inch iPhone 6and a larger iPhone 6 Plus, a 5.5 inch model designed to resemble and function like a tablet.

iphone6Dan Riccio, senior vice president of hardware engineering at Apple, said the new iPhone models allow viewers to see more enhanced features, such as deeper colors and sharper text.

“Better aligned pixels deliver a superior viewing experience,” Riccio said. “You can do more for a longer period of time, without compromising performance or battery life.”

1410287764000-GTY_455045316

Updates on the new iPhones were featured in many news outlets such as USA Today, Ad Age and Forbes, along with mixed media approaches on various platforms.

CNN featured a video characterizing the evolution of the iPhone and Apple partnered with U2 to provide their entire new album, Songs of Innocence, to more than 500 million iTunes users.

u2

Due to the extensive number of promotions, the iPhone 6 Plus sold out across the nation and is unavailable for four weeks.

Yet, amidst the massive PR push, some consumers were unsatisfied with the features of new models or voiced criticism about the direction Apple is heading as a brand.

Financial Post and New York Times criticized Apple neglecting to set a release date for China, the world’s biggest smartphone market.

“Apple completely let us down without prior notice,” said a sales manager at China Telecom in reaction to the situation.

Many consumers who did not want the new U2 album automatically downloaded onto their devices had negative comments about Apple’s current CEO, Tim Cook. A PR News article stated that “once the album is in your Music app and iTunes account, it cannot be removed,” and many customers are now aggravated with the brand.

In a Washington Post article, technology reporter Hayley Tsukayama said Apple is abandoning values that set the company apart from other Android phone producers.

“For years, Apple has refused to make phones that were wider than the average thumb could reach, saying that making phones any bigger was a disservice to consumers,” Tsukayama said. “In some ways, the new pair of phones feels like an admission from Apple that it was wrong about fighting the big-screen revolution for so long.”

This appeared to be a brand disconnect and consumers had mixed feelings toward Apple’s claim as the “bigger than better” iPhone and outdated features.

twitter

Apple has a strict set of values and beliefs to set them apart from the larger-scale Android phone models, making them appear to be a lovemark in many consumers’ eyes. However, each new iPhone release begs the question whether the brand is becoming more of a fad.

In your opinion, does Apple represent a lovemark or is it turning into a fad with all of the media hype and coverage? Are you loyal to Apple or do you prefer other industry competitors and Android phones?

This entry was posted in Keystone Communications and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Apple’s New Releases Hit or Miss?

1. Tayllor Lillestol says:

Although I’ve had an iPhone for years, I’m not sure I’ll be sticking with them for much longer. Their competitors are catching up and Apple hasn’t really created a completely new concept in a while. What really stood out to me in this post is the way Apple executives are describing the products. Dan Riccio’s statement just seems like a lot of corporate jargon that isn’t really relatable to customers. He’s telling people about better aligned pixels instead of telling people what those better pixels could show you. I think Jobs’ simplistic approach to describing why a product will work is what created all this hype, and without him the company might be facing a shrinking audience.

2. Brandon SMith says:

First, I have to say I am a fan of Apple products. For years, Apple made it easy to share music, documents, and photos between their devices but with today’s emphasis on cloud sharing and the ability to access those files from something like a Google Drive or Dropbox, that process can be done on any device across multiple platforms. I think Apple has been a little reactive on their approach to the new iPhone on both technical and PR fronts. Samsung has already released a wearable watch device to pair with the Galaxy and Android phones have already had many of the capabilities and features the new iPhone boasts (as shown in the figure above). The added “bonus” of the free U2 album was also an odd choice. Why not just make it free on iTunes and have those who want it download it themselves? I’m interested to see how Apple adapts in the coming years and hope they can break free from the pack and blow us away with something groundbreaking soon. If they can’t, I’m sure one of their competitors will.

3. Collay Dennis says:

I think Apple is still a lovemark because many people swear by Apply products regardless of the specifications. As you can see in the tweet illustrated in this blog post, the iPhone 6 isn’t necessarily as big and bad as it claims to be; however, millions still went out and bought it. I would argue that all these gimmicks and marketing tactics are pushing it away from being a lovemark. While Android phones may not be a lovemark, they are producing new and improved phones that are surpassing iPhones.

As for the decisions the company has made recently, I think they are scared. I honestly think Apple was afraid of the competition and caved to make a phone with a bigger screen, but I don’t necessarily think this decision will doom Apple for eternity. However, the U2 album release seemed desperate and I think consumers will need some time to regain iTunes trust.

Personally, I am not loyal to Apple or any other brand. I make purchase choices based on facts instead of trying to be a part of a community and following suit with what that community deems to be a lifestyle brand. If Apple doesn’t start producing better iPhones, I think consumers will leave and search for the next best thing.