Gaga’s ‘Art’ Spews Green Slime

Lady Gaga is promoting her controversial new album “Artpop” across the U.S. Controversy surrounds the project and some say she has gone too far in efforts to blend art and pop.

During her performance at the South by Southwest Music Festival in Austin, Texas, performance artist Millie Brown purposefully swallowed neon green paint and vomited all over Gaga to add to the artistic aspect of the show.

Lady Gaga at SXSW after getting slimed by performance artist, Millie Brown

This didn’t go over well with the public and even some of Gaga’s fans. There is concern that Gaga’s recent performance is sending a negative message to young girls about eating disorders.

These concerns stem from the knowledge that eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness, as stated on the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD) website.

Demi Lovato, a self-confessed Gaga fan, heard about her performance and expressed her disapproval because of its alleged “glamorization” of eating disorders. Lovato is open about her past experiences with eating disorders and posted a tweet after the performance saying: “Putting the word ART in it isn’t a free card to do whatever you want without consequences.”

Even though she disagreed with Gaga’s decision to include this in her performance, Lovato says she’s still a “Little Monster” at heart.

Gaga and Brown have defended the performance in interviews, saying that it was not intended to be about eating disorders, just art. Gaga visited the Today show and was interviewed by Savannah Guthrie about the scandal.

“ARTPOP, my new album, is about bringing art and music together and the spirit of creative rebellion. For us, that performance was art in its purest form. But we totally understand that some people won’t be into it.”

Do you agree with Gaga’s decision to include this in her latest performance? Do you think this sends the wrong message to young girls about eating disorders or is it “art” and therefore above criticism? Will this affect Gaga’s image?

This entry was posted in LLPR and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Gaga’s ‘Art’ Spews Green Slime

1. Kyleigh Zmijewski says:

If it wasn’t for Lady Gaga battling an eating disorder and being open about her rehabilitation, I don’t think it would have been a problem. Art is just art and it can be displayed in many different ways and forms. In the art world, no one judges what a picture, a painting, a sculpture, a video or any other piece for being too vulgar or colorful or creative. The message behind the act was to be creative and different and to think outside the box. But in the case of it being at a Gaga show and knowing where she was recently and for what, gave the act of art a pretext meaning. As for the action giving the wrong message to young girls, is a little narrow-minded unless it was intentionally placed to parade Gaga’s recent trip to rehab. Then it would be inappropriate and bad messaging for young girls about the disease.

2. Cristina Peralta says:

Great article to write about, Jacqueline — in particular, because eating disorders affect a large part of the population today. In my opinion, I think Gaga’s reputation as a respected artist and singer has dropped significantly because of these bizarre acts she has put on as a part of her “performance” lately. In this case, I think her definition of art is slightly skewed because she chose to go in a bad direction. She may have meant to convey a different message originally, but where it all went wrong was in the way she chose to deliver it and the way the audience interpreted it. I do not agree with her decision to include this “art” of eating disorders because in the end — was it really necessary? I understand these bizarre and unexplainable acts are a part of her image, but there is a line drawn between professionalism and outright ridiculousness. She should have known beforehand, as a professional artist, that her choice to have someone throw up on stage as an act could’ve gone in a negative or positive direction. In this case, it obviously didn’t work out for her. I recently read in an article that she is offended and taken aback that her fans wouldn’t understand the artistry behind this. Maybe it’s time for her to grow as an adult and realize that not everyone sees the world in the weird way that she does. Nonetheless, I don’t think this will affect Gaga’s image as an artist. The whole world pretty much has the same perception of her — strange — and that is exactly how she wants it to be.

3. Emily Wininger says:

Unless someone called attention to the fact Lady Gaga’s stunt resembled an eating disorder, I would not have seen it. Clearly, there have been many others that have, however. I think that Gaga has always taken art to the extreme – she did wear a meat dress – but this is one of the first times Gaga’s “art” was an actual action. I do not think Gaga intended anything foul from this display. However, it may tarnish people’s opinion of her. With Gaga’s bizarre fashion and stage presence I feel this incident will calm rather quickly.

There is something to be learned from this happening; everything is up to interpretation. Although Gaga saw art in her actions, others saw an eating disorder being glamorized. People need to be aware that actions and words can be misconstrued. It is probably best to brainstorm all possible ways something could be interpreted to avoid conflict later.