‘Bachelor’ in Need of Reality Check

“It’s okay.” “I like her.” “It’s good.”

These generic phrases were uttered countless times by vapid Venezuelan soccer stud Juan Pablo Galavis throughout ABC’s current season of The Bachelor.

Instead of the typical exotic dates, fantasy romances and the occasional catfight for which the ABC show is notorious, this season of The Bachelor is infamous for Galavis’s narcissistic behaviors. Fans of the show continue to shame the star of the show as “the worst bachelor ever” through social media.

Apart from his painfully perfect looks, the contestants on the show have proved that Juan Pablo does not have much else to offer in a relationship.  As the season progressed, two women even sent themselves home to save themselves from the possibility of a real-life relationship with Galavis.

Contestant Andi Dorfman, 27, brought the dull dates and conversations to an end on Tuesday’s episode when she sent herself home after a “nightmare” fantasy suite date.  According to The Huffington Post, Dorfman claimed that Juan Pablo would be a horrible person to date, “Not once did he really ask anything about me,” she said.

To add insult to injury, Juan Pablo attempted to appease Dorfman’s concerns on their relationship by regurgitating a stream of “it’s okay” and “that’s fine.” The awkward argument only proved her point that this bachelor is indifferent and selfish, as opposed to the usual humble and interesting men the show typically chooses.

While it seems obvious that it is impossible to hand-pick 27 women all of whom are perfect matches for one bachelor, never have two women in one season sent themselves home in the history of 18 seasons of the show.

Producers asked Juan Pablo to be the stud of the show after his appearance on The Bachelorette.  The single dad received enormous support and swoons from women across the country through social media sites like Twitter and Instagram.  The show gave their widespread mostly female audience who they wanted — and now might regret their decision.

According to The Huffington Post, even long-time Bachelor/Bachelorette host Chris Harrison has called this season of the show the “most controversial” and “extremely banal.”  Harrison’s point was proven in Tuesday’s episode when he had to pause a conversation with Juan Pablo to correct his use of English and encourage him to use words other than “like” and “good” when referring to Galavis’s supposed future wives.

According to the Twitter universe, the show has unintentionally become the laughing stock of reality TV, quite a feat with today’s plethora of nonsensical reality TV shows.

<blockquote class=”twitter-tweet” lang=”en”><p>Juan Pablo doesn’t like it when people put words in his mouth, but to be fair, someone has to. <a href=”https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TheBachelor&amp;src=hash”>#TheBachelor</a></p>&mdash; West Lee (@NotthatAdamWest) <a href=”https://twitter.com/NotthatAdamWest/statuses/438504868274126849″>February 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src=”//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

<blockquote class=”twitter-tweet” lang=”en”><p>I started off being totally in love with Juan Pablo, but now I feel bad for every girl forced to date him on the Bachelor.</p>&mdash; Katarina Richter (@KatarinaRich) <a href=”https://twitter.com/KatarinaRich/statuses/439542645505789952″>February 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

Do you think the controversy surrounding The Bachelor will affect the show’s popularity?  Should the producers of the show acknowledge their lack of judgment when selecting the star of the show?

For more information on the controversies of Juan Pablo’s behavior, view The Huffington Post article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/emma-gray/andi-dorfman-juan-pablo-the-bachelor-fantasy-suites_b_4858322.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000046

4 Responses to ‘Bachelor’ in Need of Reality Check

1. Tory Stangl says:

I do not think that the controversy surrounding Juan Pablo will affect the show’s popularity, however I do think that it affected the ratings for the current season.
    Many people, myself included, stopped watching this past season because this bachelor seemed to lack any substance and wasn’t creating the relationships that America so loves to be apart of.

I think that the show made a great choice picking Andi Dorfman for the next Bachelorette because viewers seemed to sympathize with her and even praise her for deciding to leave the show. She appears to have a personality, is smart, and even beautiful (a necessity for ABC).

I think that choosing Juan Pablo was the wrong choice for this show and in the future they need to be more aware of what their viewers want and expect to see.

2. Kyleigh Zmijewski says:

The Galavis special season finale was the tipping point of this horrible boat ride to finding “the one” on this season of The Bachelor. Viewers and critics have a right to be a little jaded for how Juan Pablo left them without an ounce of reassurance or his happy ever ending. The show is about transparency and allowing fans to take the journey with the bachelor or bachelorette to find true love. As for the rating of the show shifting, I don’t think they will be affected too much since the show is usually a hit and has enough viewers invested. I do think producers will clean up the mess they let procreate with Juan Pablo and his alter ego and change some rules for next season. As for the new Bachelorette, Andi Dorfman, she will set the show right back on track and be the most watched nighttime show.

3. Cristina Peralta says:

I don’t think the controversy surrounding Juan Pablo will affect The Bachelor‘s popularity. Juan Pablo is the very reason people tune into the show in the first place. After all, do any of us really and truly believe you can find TRUE love on a reality television show? Maybe I’m wrong in stating the contrary, but I think Juan Pablo’s character added to the entertainment aspect of the show. Yes, Juan Pablo is a narcissist. Yes, Juan Pablo is your average “macho man.” And yes, Juan Pablo might be kind of a jerk. But when we think about it, did the producers actually make a mistake on behalf of the show or were they looking to increase viewer ratings? The latter would appear to be the obvious choice. The Bachelor has always had good ratings among viewers and young women in particular, but every reality show needs a boost every once in a while. It’s a part of being in the business and a part of keeping a show alive (unfortunately). I don’t think there’s really any way the producers went into this season not knowing of Juan Pablo’s rather obnoxious behavior. I think there was a reason behind this judgment call and in the end, it worked out pretty well for the show as a whole. There’s criticism to be made and as a viewer, you’re not forced to agree with every decision. But it still makes you think, right?

4. Kara Burns says:

I am a religious fan of The Bachelor and after one controversial season, I don’t think this type of controversy will harm the show. It has been on television for countless seasons, and I don’t see it ending anytime soon. I do believe, however, that the view of the show to its fans has changed over time. In the very early stages of the show, I think people truly viewed it more as a show to find love. Over time, the views have changed to more entertainment, to see what will happen with all the drama surrounding the topic of “love.” I also think they made the right decision in picking Andi as the next Bachelorette. She says it like it is, can see through someone’s fake personalities and really knows how to get what she wants. I think she can turn the show around, somewhat.

On the producer side, I think that they should admit it and then move on. They clearly chose someone unfit for the show, and brought negative publicity towards the show. But in the end, it got people to talk about the show, which can’t be too bad.