Google Analytics Add Up as PR Tool

Screen Shot 2013-11-03 at 9.17.08 PM

Among all the options out there regarding reporting, the top contender is Google Analytics. This tool “provides powerful digital analytics for anyone with a web presence, large or small. It’s one of the most powerful digital analytics solutions available,” according to the tool’s official website and support page.

The site also provides an idea of how Google Analytics can be used and for which purposes. PR and marketing professionals in the digital era can learn, for example, where online visitors come from and what do they do on a site, how a website can convert more visitors into customers, which keywords resonate with prospects and lead to conversions, and which online ad is the most effective.

The tool is advertised as user friendly too; utilized to track a variety of web-based content:

• Multiple websites
    Google Analytics will track as many websites as you own! We’ve provided multiple reporting views in your account, so you can view individual reports for specific domains or subdomains.
  • Blog, MySpace, or Facebook pages
    To use Google Analytics to track your pages on Facebook, MySpace, WordPress or other solutions, we recommend that you search for thirrd-party widgets that simplify the Analytics set up for pre-defined site templates. You may not be able to use Analytics on sites where you cannot edit the page code (such as on MySpace, for example). However, often you will be able to find plugins or widgets that will help you use Analytics in your page.
  • Visits from RSS feeds
    In order for Google Analytics to track data, it is necessary that the Google Analytics tracking code gets executed. Since most RSS/atom readers cannot execute JavaScript, Analytics will not count pageviews that are loaded through an RSS reader. Analytics requires that the visitor execute a JavaScript file on Google’s servers in order to track that pageview.
  • Using Analytics with other web analytics solutions
    You can run Google Analytics in parallel with any third-party or internal solution you’ve already deployed.

And, something very important, it’s free. Of course, this is under certain conditions, like if your site generates 10 million or fewer hits per month. But, if a site generates more than 10 million hits per month, then they offer increased limits as part of Google Analytics Premium, which is a paid, but more complete resource for any research you may need to convey.

Is Google Analytics now the norm? Are other tools better choices?

This entry was posted in Radius PR, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Google Analytics Add Up as PR Tool

1. Ashley Provenzano says:

I do not have a lot of experience with many different kinds of analytical tools, but from what I have read here and heard in other places, I would say Google Analytics is a great tool to use when tracking information associated with your websites. It seems to do a great job compiling everything in an easy fashion for people who may not be as savvy with these tools. I’m not saying it is the best tool out there because there are always other options and conflicting opinions, but I believe it could be a very useful tool in public relations.

2. Hailey Paquette says:

I believe that better evaluation tools will emerge, but for now, Google Analytics is definitely the norm. Clients typically have heard of it, so they feel more comfortable working with it, and I have heard from many of my friends that it’s used at their workplaces. It’s here to stay until something better emerges!

3. Janslle Ong says:

At my current job, we also use Google Analytics. My boss uses it as an important tool to track what our users like to read on our site. I think Google Analytics is one of the best tools out there and there aren’t many comparable ones. Everybody wants to be on the first page of Google’s search and sometimes using their products really helps.