Charmin Pulls ‘Thor’ Potty-Pun Tweet

Wrapping around the release of Thor: The Dark World, Charmin posted a tweet that sent the Twitterverse aflutter.

We’ve always been an #Asgardian#Thor#SeeWhatWeDidTherepic.twitter.com/xmK2qOCReY

— Charmin (@Charmin) November 8, 2013

Along with the tweet, this picture:

charmin-asgardian-hed-2013

The only terrible thing was that the tweet was deleted just as fast as it was released. Charmin isn’t new to funny potty-puns, so why they decide to pull the plug on something that generated 1,454 retweets and 693 favorites in just 100 minutes, a viral success in any PR person’s mind.

Yes, brands have been known to screw up seemingly harmless posts (we’re looking at you Home Depot), but other brands have capitalized on making the most of outrageous and possibly controversial statements. A great example of how a brand stuck to their PR guns and persevered is Kmart’s “Ship My Pants” commercial, with currently 19,815,265 views on YouTube.

The takeaway? PR pros need to remember this: Use common sense and don’t offend, but if you have an opportunity to make a punny statement, TAKE IT! It’s not often that a brand can capitalize on something that relates to their brand and at the same time every member of the audience (probably why puns relating to “swear words” do so well). In Charmin’s case, I think they missed an awesome opportunity to become a viral hit.

What do you think of Charmin’s tweet? How have brands offended YOU and why were they offensive?

This entry was posted in M | PR and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Charmin Pulls ‘Thor’ Potty-Pun Tweet

1. Leila O'Hara says:

I loved this example and am glad someone chose to blog about this! I thought this tweet was very clever and original. I was not surprised when Charmin deleted the tweet but it is a great example of how a tweet can go viral and can generate awesome buzz for a brand. I agree that Charmin should have stuck to their guns and backed up the humor of the message.

2. Katlyn Orton says:

I agree that Charmin should not have pulled the ad down so fast! I personally find the ad funny, creative, punny and not at all offensive. I understand that it is considered a swear word, but they never actually said it, therefore, I think it makes it less offensive. In addition, I think it is important for companies to realize that no matter what, someone will always find a way to criticize everything, so there is really no way of doing anything without receiving some sort of backlash. This is not to say that you should purposely offend people, but it is to say that it’s important to be aware and not to run away from all criticism. My question is what were the negative reactions and were they abundant? Was it bad enough to have to quickly take it down? In my opinion, Charmin should have given it longer because there was also a lot of positive feedback.