Blogs Generate Big Leads, Big Profits

“If your business’s website does not have a blog that is actively updated on a regular basis, then you are missing a huge opportunity to increase your company’s visibility and therefore increase your digital reach,” Social Media Today blogger Nicole Beachum wrote in an April 2013 blog post. And, guess what, she’s right. Yet, only 1 in 8 companies have an active blog, according to a report by Passle.

Since it took off in the late 1990s, blogging has been an outlet for ordinary people, public figures, companies and leaders alike to share valuable, entertaining, controversial or thought-provoking content with the public. Although it is a great way for anyone to get his or her thoughts out there, blogging can also be an important asset to a company looking to increase its online presence.

Screen Shot 2013-10-13 at 11.09.35 PM

Graphic courtesy of Feldman Creative

In this digital age, it is no secret that a significant online presence is important to a brand’s success. PR campaigns often employ a social media strategy and build an interactive, attractive website to establish this presence. Although these strategies are beneficial, blogging should be another facet of a company’s branding campaign.

Many public relations professionals recognize the connection between a consumer’s trust of the company and their loyalty to the brand. If they find that the company is valuable and honest, they will be more likely to continue to invest in its products and services. Blogging allows the company to share in-depth content with consumers. Company bloggers can write about topics that will interest and help their consumers. The company will earn consumers’ trust and then earn the opportunity to promote its products and services.

Additionally, blogging helps tremendously in raising a brand’s search engine rank through SEO. According to LinkTons blogger Dhiraj Das’ September 2013 blog post, search engines factor refreshed content into their ranking algorithms. If a company wants to pop up on that first page of Google Search results, they need to keep the new content flowing.

Finally, blogging helps a company or brand to establish itself as an authority in its particular industry. By continuing to post useful and helpful content, consumers learn to turn to you not only for information on that industry, but products and services as well.

Screen Shot 2013-10-13 at 11.11.46 PM

Graphic courtesy of Feldman Creative

If you don’t believe that blogging will actually lead to increased customers and followers for your brand, the following statistics speak for themselves:

• Small businesses with blogs generate 126 percent more leads.
  • Interesting content is one of the top three reasons people follow brands on social media.
  • 81 percent of U.S. consumers trust advice and information from blogs
  • 61 percent of U.S .consumers have made a purchase based on a blog post
  • 82 percent of consumers enjoy reading relevant content from brands
  • 70 percent of consumers learn about a company through articles rather than ads

Do you believe blogging can make a difference in a company’s success? Why do you think many companies shy away from the idea of keeping an active blog? What are some best practices for blogging?

This entry was posted in M | PR. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Blogs Generate Big Leads, Big Profits

1. Mackenzie Keller says:

I definitely think that blogging makes a difference in a company’s success. However, blogs take time and energy, and most agencies or internal PR teams are already so busy that they don’t find time to write or construct a blog. I think that this is a huge mistake. At my internship, for example, I was given the task of writing the blog for the agency, but I feel like I was given the task just as busy work. The posts aren’t really important to my superiors, and I feel like this attitude permeates throughout the industry.

Some of the best practices I would suggest for blog post writing would be to up the visuals. People like being shown things and have short attention spans. Also, when choosing a topic, always add a little humor –i t makes it less suit-and-tie, and more personable, like you’re actually reading someone’s thoughts.