Fortune 500 CEOs Short on Social Media Presence

In the past few years, companies have realized that if they ignore the powerhouse that is social media, they will be in deep trouble. Providing consumers with the ability to say what they want when they want, whether positive or negative, social media is now a facet of a company’s online reputation. CEOs have been investing more time, money and attention to managing and creating valuable content for their corporate social media accounts and joining the online conversation.

Although CEOs have realized the necessity and benefits of a company that is active and visible on each social media platform, they don’t seem to pay the same attention to their personal social profiles and accounts. According to a report by CEO.com and Domo, 68 percent of the 2013 Fortune 500 CEOs have zero presence on social media. As for the other 32 percent, their activity online is unimpressive.

CEO.com and Domo took an in-depth look into CEOs’ activity on four  social media sites: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google+.

Here’s what they found:

  • 35 Fortune 500 CEOs are on Facebook, down from 38 in 2012
  • 28 Fortune 500 CEOs are on Twitter but only 19 have tweeted in the last 100 day.
  • 140 Fortune 500 CEOs are on LinkedIn up from 129 in 2012, making it the most popular among the CEOs
  • Five Fortune 500 CEOs are on Google+ compared to four last year.
  • Source: 2013 CEO.com Social CEO Report

Dismal is an understatement. According to Domo and CEO.com, they believe at least the same amount of growth is attributed to younger CEOs such as Mark Zuckerberg and Marissa Mayer.

So are CEOs going to continue to steer clear of social media and avoid joining the online conversation? Maybe they just want their privacy, are resistant to change or are busy growing their business’ bottom line. In a recent blog post, Domo CEO Josh James said he believes CEOs will start to pay attention to social media because they no longer want to sit on the sidelines.

Social media is one of the best ways for a company to reach out to their audience, but if their leaders refuse to show their faces, what might that lead consumers to think? Should CEOs make more of an effort to become visible online or is their time better spent elsewhere?

This entry was posted in M | PR. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Fortune 500 CEOs Short on Social Media Presence

  1. Mackenzie Keller says:

    I definitely think that the lack of a presence of CEOs on social media is an issue. It is shown in studies that people can relate more to people telling them things than brands telling them things, so having a strong CEO leading a conversation is important.

Comments are closed.