Good Girls Gone Bad

Three tween stars are breaking out of their good girl personas and appearing in much racier roles. Wizards of Waverly Place star Selena Gomez along with Pretty Little Liars‘ Ashley Benson and High School Musical‘s Vanessa Hudgens are changing their image in the new movie Spring Breakers.

Spring Breakers features every parent’s worst nightmare for their child’s Spring break. Four girls rob a restaurant to pay for their trip to Miami and find themselves in debt to a gun and drug dealer named Alien, played by James Franco. The movie features excessive drinking and drug use in bikinis.

“At the end of the day we’re proud of this movie. We really are. And the decision we made we stand by and we love it.” -Selena Gomez

However, will the new racy image pay off for these young stars despite their sparkling clean reputations? We’ve seen young Disney stars pull this stunt in the past. Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake and Christina Aguilera all traded in their mouse ears for a much sexier reputation with much success. In fact, most childhood stars who either refuse to turn into sex symbols or don’t have the looks for it tend to be forgotten when they mature, such as Molly Ringwald and Macaulay Culkin.

Do you think these new naughty images will pay off for these young stars? Or do you think they’ll take too much heat from the enraged moms of young girls to keep their fandom alive?

8 Responses to Good Girls Gone Bad

1. Tessa Turnbow says:

I think this movie will have different ramifications for each star. In my opinion, the public will have the hardest time accepting Selena Gomez’s new “naughty image.” While Ashley Benson and Vanessa Hudgens have clean images, Benson’s starring role in Pretty Little Liars is not competely innocent and Hudgens had a nude photo scandal which has slightly tarnished her image. The most scandalous thing Gomez has done is date Justin Bieber. Even though the public may have a hard time accepting these new images, I do not think it will be a bad thing for the young actresses because with these new movies come new audiences and fans.

2. Danielle Chavez says:

First and foremost, these girls are actresses. If they all of a sudden decided to take on the personas of their characters in Spring Breakers, that might be an image issue. However, I think their fans will realize this is just a career move.

3. Kayla Pologa says:

I agree with you both. There comes a point in the entertainment industry, and specifically for actors (or actresses) when they have to break the mold of the roles they have previously taken on as to not be typecast. For these three stars, Spring Breakers presented that opportunity. Sure, at this moment they may be known as the innocent poster actresses of Disney and other popular teen series, but the truth is they can only ride that wave so long. Though the decision may be viewed as vulgar or raunchy for some loyal fans and their parents, it may very well prove to be the right move at the right time. Of course, Danielle has a point, if they morph this into a Lindsay Lohan situation, they have a whole new PR problem on their hands. But, for the time being, this should merely be viewed as what it is, actresses taking the next step in their careers and expanding their horizons.

4. Minda Elliott says:

I think that the subject of child stars can be very touchy. Britney Spears may have her stuff together now, but let’s not forget about the multiple stays in rehab and psych ward visits in 2008. Look at people like Lindsay Lohan who went from being the innocent freckle-faced girl from The Parent Trap to being trapped in rehab and drug addiction.

Being a child star can already take a toll on kids let alone trying to age too quickly. I hope that the girls in this post can stay above the influence, and I sincerely hope that this will be a better transition for them, but the switch from Disney to adulthood can cause more problems than it’s worth.

5. Josh Skalniak says:

I think making this movie is a risk that must be taken, especially with the way Hollywood is today. Of course, they’re going to get negative feedback, but it is moves like this that keep stars relevant. America is pretty forgiving when stars make bad business decisions. The key for these girls to stay successful is to remain in the public eye and this movie has done that.

6. D'Asia Tate says:

After seeing the movie, I honestly think these girls have alienated their original fan bases. The tween population cannot go see this movie and if any happen to find their way into this movie, I think they will be in for a big surprise. I understand that this is a calculated career move by these actresses but I do not know what new fans they were aiming to gain. I had no problem with the nudity and drug use throughout the movie, but what I had a problem with was how ignorant the characters were that they portrayed. I think it set them back a step instead of propelling them to where they wanted to be.

7. Morgan Theys says:

These girls are actresses and it is their job to act out specific roles as they are cast in films. However, I don’t think that films bring a positive image for actors and actresses. For example, this new Spring Breakers film offers an alternate view to the Spring Break world that teens are involved in, filled with drinking and drugs. Unfortunately, this isn’t the true teen experience. An audience must take this movie with a grain of salt. The story truly shows the extreme, and something, perhaps, you may never see in your life. These films are definitely not Oscar worthy, still, they will not move the careers of these actresses forward.

8. Alexa Chrisbacher says:

I think all the above points are valid. However, as a performer it is not usually a good thing to be pigeon-holed in one type of role. There are plenty of examples of actors and actresses that had to do surprising roles in order to break what they public viewed as their “image.” It seems that being known as a Disney star is not advantageous past a certain point. As these girls mature, so must their careers, because as with everyone–teen years do not last. At some point Disney and teen fan bases will move on. Kudos to them for leaving first.