Targeting Pinterest: A Social Media Plan

Pinterest serves as a new avenue to market for your business

Social media is not only a way to brand yourself, meet others and stay connected but it is now becoming a popular way to strategically market content. A TechCrunch article stated, they “attained exclusive data from comScore showing Pinterest just hit 11.7 million unique monthly U.S. visitors, crossing the 10 million mark faster than any other standalone site in history.” If social media connects thousands of users with common interests, then how can you target your audience to better your business venture. In a blog about public relations, marketing, new media and journalism, Scott Hepburn describes what users should consider to build a profitable brand and reach their business goals.

Hepburn believes Pinterest is a great way to market and expand businesses but many are missing a Pinterest Plan. Hepburn states that one must consider what kind of traffic you’re attracting when using social media sites. He also asks readers, once that traffic hits your site, what’s next?  Traffic alone is not considered a plan; therefore, what questions do you ask first?

Here are the questions Hepburn states you should consider to “drive a ton of traffic:”

• What are my business objectives (think beyond just marketing/sales)? What are my marketing goals?
  • Who are the audiences I need to connect with (not just on Pinterest)? Who are the Pinterest users I want to connect with?
  • What do I hope to accomplish with Pinterest (for example, blog traffic, brand awareness/visibility, sales)?
  • How are my customers using Pinterest? Are they Pinning? Are they following other Pinterest users? Are they looking for inspiration or ideas?
  • What outcome do I want to achieve from my interactions with Pinterest users?
Pinterest, marketing your business in new ways, start by making a plan.

What to do next? A Social Media Plan

Hepburn offers this outline of questions to help users build a social media plan:

Pinning vs. Following. Which is a better use of your time: Pinning photos or following other Pinterest users? Nothing says you have to Pin things to use Pinterest. Consider whether sharing content is a necessary part of your strategy.

Pinterest Referral Traffic. Marketers and bloggers are giddy over the amount of traffic Pinterest drives to their websites. Traffic is good…qualified traffic is better. Pinterest referrals are valuable because those visitors who are visually attracted to your brand. Still, watch your analytics to see whether the surge in traffic leads to a similar uptick in conversions and sales.

Your Website Images. Is getting visitors to share your images on Pinterest one of your goals? This is an important strategic question. If so, does your website have enough images? Are they share-worthy? Nobody shares boring images. Do you include the “Pin It” button on your page to encourage Pinterest users to share your images?

Engagement Strategy. What do you do if a Pinterest user pins an image of your product? Will you follow them? Like their Pin? Repin it? Comment? Will you connect with Pinterest users on other social platforms like Twitter and Facebook?

Branded Pinterest Board. Should you create a branded Pinterest board? How well known is your brand? Why would someone want to follow your brand’s Pinterest board? How will you promote your Pinterest boards? Will you re-allocate marketing resources to promote your Pinterest board instead of your other social media pages?

Some questions to reflect upon:

Do you plan on using social media for public relations? How will you attract the audience you desire and drive them to your website or business? What business problems can occur while using social media sites, like Facebook or Pinterest?

Here is an article about 3 ways to use Pinterest for your business.

This entry was posted in Fusion PR and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Targeting Pinterest: A Social Media Plan

1. Jessica Choi says:

I definitely plan on using social media for public relations. Since there are so many different platforms to share information and communicate with stakeholders, it is important to learn and understand how each social media site works.

I think attracting the desired audience and driving them to a specific website or business depends on what you want to get out of it. Different platforms gather different types of audiences. I think one of the most effective ways to driving consumers to a company’s website or business is to stay in constant communication. Examples can be replying/commenting to social media posts, hosting contests or giveaways for fans, and even encouraging fans and consumers to share their thoughts and photos on a related topic.

I think business problems can arise when companies do not know how to properly use social media sites or use the sites for the wrong reasons. Social media is always expanding and changing. Information is passed along quickly and there is no longer time or space for text-heavy information. Companies who post longer messages or do not know how to engage their fans on Facebook can suffer loss of commitment and loyalty from fans. Companies who do not know how to use Pinterest or do not tweet on a consistent basis can also encounter problems.

2. Alexa Chrisbacher says:

I think that any and every social media site can have a marketing and PR application. And even better: it’s free! Scott Hepburn has a great point though, it’s best to have a plan. That seems to be what sets apart the mice from the marketers, so to speak. I think it all comes down to knowing your audience. Who are they and what are they using social media for? Developing a way to reach target audiences through one (or many) social media outlets depends entirely on who you’re reaching out to.

3. Josh Skalniak says:

I’ve never used Pinterest before, but I can definitely see the positives of using this platform in a PR plan. Not to sound cliche, but pictures can speak a thousand words. Also, I think Pinterest gives a unique opportunity for businesses to drive traffic to their sites without being too abrasive.

4. Morgan Theys says:

Although I am not a Pinterest user myself, I have read and understand how crucial it has become as a social media platform. When I first learned of Pinterest last year, I thought it would be a creative idea for businesses to target a different audience; one whose attention is directed towards graphics and pictures. Today, many people don’t have the time or attention span to read, and as what has always been said, “A picture is worth a thousand words.” And that has been taken to a whole other level. Many companies have decided to add Pinterest into their already growing list of social media sites as a way to attract a different user. It’s an easy engagement platform for all who love images and graphics.