Social Media Mirrors Oscar Magic

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences stepped up its social media game at the 85th Oscars on Feb 24.

Playing on a few of the nominated movies (Mirror Mirror and Snow White and the Huntsman), the Academy set up a “Magic Mirror” in the green room where stars could snap self-portraits and tweet them from the Academy’s official account (@TheAcademy). The mirror gave followers glimpses into the backstage area typically closed even to the press.

Oscars Social Media

The Twitter mirror is just a part of the Academy’s newest outreach strategies in hopes of “giving access to fans at home a part of the show they never got to experience before,” Twitter spokeswoman Elaine Filadelfo said.

The Academy’s chief marketing officer, Christina Kounelias, explained that “social media is now mainstream” in justifying their efforts to connect with all audiences — not just youth.

However, one move by host Seth MacFarlane was clearly aimed at engaging young adults. Partnering with mtvU, the Academy created a video contest for aspiring filmmakers leading up to the event. Six winners were selected from universities across the country and appeared live on stage handing the Oscars to celebrity presenters.

85thOscarsCollegeExperience_prep

A video-on-demand feature also debuted during the ceremony, allowing fans to watch highlights on Oscar.com, instant replay favorite moments, and share them with their Twitter and Facebook spheres. Added camera perspectives at the event and a blog tracking social media discussion gave viewers unprecedented real-time access to the event.

What do you think about the Oscars’ attempts at connecting with a modern audience? Did you follow their social media accounts? Do you like the informal behind-the-scenes aspect, or do you think the ceremony should return to its roots as formal and exclusive?

This entry was posted in Fusion PR and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Social Media Mirrors Oscar Magic

1. Jessica Choi says:

I think the Oscars’ attempt at connecting with a modern audience was genius. Since social media IS mainstream in today’s society, organizations that embrace platforms such as Facebook and Twitter to connect with fans and followers end up getting more out of it. Fans and followers are more responsive and its gives the organization a chance to interact and respond to questions and comments. Because of our fast-paced society and our need as consumers to get information that is readily available, incorporating social media into the awards show made it that more special and engaging. While I do not follow their social media accounts, I did look at their website and Twitter page while the Oscars were airing. As a fan, I really like the informal behind-the-scenes aspect of celebrities taking photos and tweeting “exclusive” photos.

2. Kelsey Pfeffer says:

What a great idea! I love how the stars can seem so down to earth in these photos even in glamorous evening attire. I enjoy looking at the photos after, however I didn’t watch the Oscars. I also don’t follow the Oscars or many of the actors on Twitter or Facebook. I wonder if a tactic like this would work at more low-key events to help attendees connect with people who couldn’t attend. I love how they’re reaching out to a younger audience and think that this is an effective tactic.

3. Kayla Pologa says:

No wonder the Oscars are in their 85th year! Obviously, they have the movies and the stars who keep us all coming back year after year, but really whomever is on the show’s PR team knows how to keep up with the times and engage an audience. As Jessica said, and I agree, social media has become mainstream — and in my opinion is an element that needs to, in one respect or another, be involved with any event if it wants to generate buzz.

The concept this team developed brings the Oscars out of that stiff “pan of an audience” during which they often look bored out of their minds, and shows those of us at home the true personalities of the celebrities we idolize. It shows that they too are “real” people who enjoy having fun! I feel that this brings life to the Oscars, not to mention it’s giving the audience what they really want, a chance to go behind the scenes almost to the point where we feel as if we are sitting next to the Channing Tatums and Jennifer Lawrences of Hollywood.

If only this team could have pre-publicized that this was something they were implementing. I watched the show, yet had no idea this was going on. If I had I guarantee, I would have been hooked into all my social media. Maybe I was oblivious to the advertising of this tactic, but regardless, this was a fantastic move by the Oscars team and I would expect nothing less!

4. Hannah Lurie says:

Well, I’m not entirely sure how effective this move was, because even though I watched the Oscars from start to finish, I had no idea that if I logged onto my social media accounts, I would have access to such a scope of fun pictures. In fact, even though my Facebook account was blowing up with Oscars comments, and many of my Facebook connections are more social media savvy than I, nobody said a thing about this tactic.

I think it’s great that the Motion Picture Academy of Arts and Science is trying to bridge the gap between our favorite stars and us on the biggest night in show business. And I think it was a fun way to go. I just wished that they had gotten the word out to a greater audience–one that included me!