Google Tunes Into Retail With YouTube Merch

On Oct 16, YouTube announced on their blog that they would launch the YouTube Merch Store, which will allow YouTube partners to offer their merchandise directly to users’ YouTube channels.

This step into retail will allow affiliates like Songkick to spread the word about concerts and allow users to track different musicians. Topspin will be able to offer artists’ merchandise, as well as concert tickets and other unique meetups and experiences.  iTunes and Amazon will now have the ability to give and sell downloadable music by the artist that a user is viewing.

Another change is their new Indie Label Signup, which allows independent artists and labels to become partners with YouTube and share in the revenue when users listen to their music on their specific channel. They hope that this will allow artists to find the appropriate audience and create a career all via the use of YouTube.

At more than 800 million users and three billion daily views, the Google-owned platform will offer artists and other sites a broad range of audience members to reach with their specific product or music. With all these new features, YouTube appears to be heading in the direction of becoming the one-stop-shop for everything music.

What do you think of YouTube’s newest venture into the world of music retail? What effect do you think it will have on other platforms that are not multifunctional?

7 Responses to Google Tunes Into Retail With YouTube Merch

1. rsutherl says:

I know the folks who owned Eastside records and this revolution didn’t do much for them, but maybe more power in the artists’ hands is a good thing.

2. caolson says:

I think this could be a really great step for both YouTube as a company and for its users. I think the Indie Label Signup in particular shows YouTube’s concern for their customers and for the people who have made them so popular by allowing those people to expand their reach and their potential. In addition, I believe this move will prompt other platforms that are similar to YouTube to move in this same direction. If used correctly, I see this as being a great move for YouTube’s client and customer base.

3. rsutherl says:

One potential consequence that comes to my mind is that music will become a much more visual experience. That sounds kind of obvious, but it would highlight the importance of image, performance quality, budget and creativity in the musical experience.

It relates to Cassidy’s post on Lady Gaga. Her music doesn’t exist without her image, or at least I believe its popularity wouldn’t exist without her image. What could that visual platform do for other artists whose expression isn’t limited to just music? I imagine we’ll see a great many new outrageous performers, all trying to get noticed. If the trend continues, a medium that simply offers an audio experience may become obsolete. We can have video on our iPods, cameras in our phones and TVs in our cars, so why not mix everything else together?

4. rsteinga says:

This sounds like a very well thought-out way to engage a music listener and transition them into a relationship, of sorts, with the bands they are listening to. From what I understand, the music industry has changed in that people are more likely to buy a single song rather than an entire record. Perhaps this is an opportunity for listeners to become more familiar with other works by an artist rather than just a popular song.

5. smwillar says:

While I can understand YouTube’s move to attract people (and clients) to their site, I personally think the freedom that these companies have is already annoying enough. I don’t want to have to dodge even more retailers trying to sell me something and wait longer to watch my video because I have to sit through a 60-second commercial. Bottom line, I just think that this will benefit these retailers more than it will benefit consumers. If I want to buy music, concert tickets or artist merchandise I will go to their respective websites, not YouTube.

When this change is implemented, I think that consumers will end up flocking to the sites that don’t have as much commercial traffic.

6. ammarty says:

I think this is an awesome idea because what better outlet to utilize for profit than YouTube? So many people use YouTube now for all different kinds of things that artists may be able to tap into audiences they never even knew they had before. Also, with all the pirating and iTunes purchases, this may help artists make much more of a profit from their music without relying on just iTunes or CD purchases. I love this idea and I think it is really going to changed the face of music retail.

7. abwolfe says:

I think this is an interesting move by YouTube. They have always been a platform for laughs and music, but now business. I am definitely interested in seeing how this will play out. Will this really help Indie bands and labels? Will it really move merchandise well? I think it is a logical move on YouTube’s part, but I’m not sure it will really pan out.