Tweet to Eat

As we all know, social media has become an integral part of public relations, and our lives in general.  Whether for personal or business reasons, almost everyone is on Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare and other combinations of social media Web sites.

But it seems as though the seriousness of social media is being taken to a new level.  Businesses and corporations have begun adding a new position to their business structure: Social media director.  CNNmoney.com recently published an article about the importance of social media and the trend of turning it into a job.  Social media is viewed as a form of public relations for businesses and when it emerged, we saw many public relations practitioners taking on the role of social media director for their respective businesses.  That’s beginning to change.  The influential role of social media as a marketing tool has increased greatly in the past few years and businesses are starting to believe that it’s a job in its own right.  We have seen, and will continue to see increased job opening for Social Media Directors in corporations and other businesses.

So the question is, is social media really a hard enough job or hefty enough load for a company to create an entire position with a salary and benefits?  Obviously at this juncture that is becoming the common consensus, but it could well change.  For companies now, social media may be a new tool but soon it will be worked to a science, where each company has their own finely executed plan for how they go about it.  That, along with the up-and-coming generation of social media gurus that can Tweet, post, check-in, Like and comment in one fell swoop, the job of Social Media Director may quickly become a thing of the past.  As social media becomes more heavily integrated and inherent in everyone’s lives, it will become less of a load to manage social media efforts.  There are already programs and Web sites in place that allow people to manage all of their social media outlets from one location.  Blackberry cell phones now not only come with Facebook and Twitter applications, but with Social Beat, an application that lets the user view and manage multiple social media sites from one application.  More of these sorts of programs are sure to come out, minimizing the daunting task of keeping up with it all.

For the generation of public relations practitioners entering the workforce, maybe taking a Social Media Director position wouldn’t be a bad first job, but don’t expect it to be a lifelong career.

This entry was posted in Advantage Communications. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Tweet to Eat

1. nkumarat says:

I don’t see how there can be a full-time position for a social media director. I mean, how much time does it take to make updates on your employer’s website? Can social media really take an eight-hour shift, five days a week? I definitely think that the social media role can be distributed through the public relations department of a company and each PR associate can have a password to the Facebook and/or Twitter page. The PR team as a whole should be staying updated with competitor Twitter pages and blogs. All in all, I believe that social media responsibilities fall under the PR department.

2. cfetter1 says:

I think this is an interesting blog post. I think that social media is going to emerge as a more and more important role in organizations. Just because there are tools to manage social media, in my opinion, doesn’t mean that takes care of everything. There has to be strategy behind a successful social media campaign and Social Beat can’t do that. It will definitely be interesting to see where this goes.

3. dbaxley says:

I agree that a job as a “social media practitioner” is a good first job, but by no means a career option. Managing social media for specific companies would be useful in fine-tuning your writing ability online. The only problem is that social media is developing so quickly and it’s difficult to predict which direction these innovations will take us in the future.

4. tgierba says:

A position of Social Media director is more than a necessary position. We all have personal accounts and we all manage them ourselves and it doesn’t seem to be difficult, but the dynamic changes when it’s for a company or corporation. I have experience in such positions. During an internship with RA Sushi, I helped to develop and monitor social media campaigns. At least half of my 40-hour-a-week internship was checking, monitoring, answering, posting deals and other such social media perks. It is the first contact between your consumers and you and it is very important to have someone looking and acting as a constant contact. Partly because social media is where you will hear about potential issues, such as in the case of Kryptonite Locks. Also, so much valuable audience and stakeholder information can be gathered through what is said on social media.