NFL goes pink

You might have seen the pink shoes and football gloves while watching your favorite game this weekend. This Sunday kicked off not only the fourth week of long drives and heavy competition, but it also kicked off the Crucial Catch campaign launched by the National Football League to promote Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

NFLPink

The NFL has partnered with the American Cancer Society to increase awareness of breast cancer and the importance of getting screened, especially for women 40 and older. For the entire campaign information, go to www.nfl.com/pink.

The NFL has done an outstanding job standing up and supporting a cause like breast cancer awareness. Though sometimes viewed as a male dominated viewership (and it is) it is also important for the NFL to be a champion for a cause. A majority of these viewers have females in their lives, whether wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, girlfriends, as well as female fans across the country (like myself) watching football every Sunday.

According to the NFL’s website, “Throughout October, NFL games will feature players, coaches and referees wearing pink game apparel, on-field pink ribbon stencils, special game balls and pink coins — all to help raise awareness for this important campaign.”

The League has a variety of components for their Crucial Catch campaign, including getting high schools involved and an auction for pink items worn or signed by the players to generate donations for the American Cancer Society. The NFL wants viewers to be aware that cancer can affect anyone and it is important to get screened.

Arizona’s own Larry Fitzgerald has a personal experience with breast cancer — his mother died of the disease. He is on the forefront of the NFL’s campaign, even donating thousands of dollars of his own money for his catches and touchdowns to the American Cancer Society. See his video here:  http://youtu.be/7FCEavz2X04.

This campaign has the potential to reach millions of viewers every week. According to the American Cancer Society, more than 190,000 estimated new cases of breast cancer were diagnosed in 2009. If only a small portion of viewers get screened, many lives could be saved. For more breast cancer facts, go to: http://bit.ly/9X4PTV

Usually pink is seen as a female color. But it is also associated with saving lives through breast cancer awareness. The NFL will continue to highlight the usual league colors with a pink tone and continue their support of breast cancer awareness. These guys on the field make wearing pink look manly.

This entry was posted in pongoPR and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to NFL goes pink

1. kzinn says:

Wonderful post! This is perhaps one of my favorite campaigns run through a professional sports organization. I agree that it is incredibly smart to utilize the predominately male audience to raise awareness for a disease that affects the women in their lives. The viewership of the NFL is so incredibly widespread and thus extremely effective in reaching the people who are affected by breast cancer.

I would be interested to see other professional sports organizations such as the NBA or NHL follow suit. They could perhaps adopt another disease to raise awareness for in a similar fashion. Breast cancer receives so much exposure yet there are other diseases out there that could certainly benefit from similar attention.

The NFL is doing a great job with their breast cancer awareness campaign and I can only hope that they or other organizations continue to do so for the other diseases that are threatening the lives of so many Americans.

2. jkramey says:

Agreed! What an eye-catching way to promote a good cause. I also this is a significant move on the NFL’s part … they’re not just using their influence to promote beer and women anymore, they are using their influence promoting a valuable cause. While many NFL teams and players are outspoken about their charitable contributions and programs, I can’t think of any awareness campaign or charity promotion that has made it on the field before the pink campaign.

It reminds me of when the Phoenix Suns wore “Los Suns” jerseys to show their concerns with the controversial immigration bill that stirred up controversy over the summer. As kzinn mentions, professional sports draw large, diverse audiences — take the Super Bowl for example (which had more viewers than the presidential inauguration) where else can you reach a captive audience of that size? Exactly. So, I applaud the NFL for partnering with the Komen cause and getting the word out to their large fanbase.

3. jjmock says:

The NFL is doing a great job reaching out and supporting such a great cause. It has a good following of female viewers and it only grows larger because of campaigns like this.

Cardinals’ Larry Fitzgerald has also pledge to give $1,000 for every catch this month and $5,000 for a TD. He is truly a good role model.

4. clangefe says:

Football players wearing pink definitely caught my attention today when I turned on my TV. It’s great to see a usually masculine organization, such as the NFL, supporting breast cancer by wearing a color associated with women.

It’s a cause that should be represented and it’s great that they made such a statement. I think the way the NFL went about raising the awareness was a great PR move.

And even though breast cancer is associated with women, men can indeed get it as well. Perhaps the NFL supporting the cause will make everyone, in addition to football fans, aware of that as well.

5. mwilson9 says:

I absolutely love this! Whoever came up with this campaign idea is a genius. What better way to get men involved in something that is considered a “female issue,” which it isn’t completely. And having them wear pink apparel tops it off! I know many of them love to be in the pink cleats and others may love the idea to support such a cause, there is nothing like a big burly man wearing pink.

The idea of reaching such a large audience through an all- American pastime while raising the awareness of such an important cause is great. It reaches its awareness goal and hopefully, it will reach its financial goal as well.