Convenience for Busy People

This whole social media thing is pretty time consuming. I mean you have to log in to Facebook or Twitter five times a day, make a post and hope someone comments on your material. It’s like running a relay race throughout the day; stop at Station One, update your profile. Stop at Station Two, update profile. Finding the time to create a constant social media presence can be challenging, but there are a few websites that can make the posting relay race disappear, but they cannot completely replace Web interaction.

Open Forum writer Erica Swallow informs readers of the many time-saving opportunities for social media use in the article “11 Free Services for Scheduling Social Media Updates.” Swallow introduces Hootsuite, FutureTweets and other helpful sites that cater to social media users’ needs. Creating a social media presence is incredibly important. It is used for personal branding and company reputation building.

11 Free Sites

1. Hootsuite
  2. LaterBro
  3. CoTweet
  4. Twaitter
  5. FutureTweets
  6. Tweetsqueue
  7. Dynamic Tweets
  8. Taweet
  9. Tweet-U-Later
  10. TweetSched
  11. Twuffer

Timeliness is the most important factor in social media updates. Posts must be timely and relevant, and it takes a lot of work to make such updates as strategic as possible. I think this demonstrates the balance Americans try to find between time management and successful branding. How does anyone have enough time to get everything done? It is great that there are sites like Hootsuite that allow each user to schedule and maintain their presence. Now more than ever, Web presence influences much of what we do. Building a brand takes time and effort.

The following sites make social media convenient for busy people. The downside of this advanced scheduling is that sometimes material for posts comes up last minute. Breaking news is not on a schedule.  Followers “retweeting” messaging cannot be predicted. It is an interactive process that requires each user to be engaged in their social media world. Relying solely on these shortcuts will not advance Web presence or engage followers and friends. These sites offer convenience, but they cannot be the way out.

Erica Swallow has showed us how to inject convenience in our posting lives, but is this an effective tool to help with social media presence? What are your thoughts?

Link to the article: http://www.openforum.com/idea-hub/topics/technology/article/11-free-services-for-scheduling-social-media-updates-erica-swallow.

3 Responses to Convenience for Busy People

1. rmmoore5 says:

You are right, social media is very time consuming! I think I spend at least two hours a day on sites like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, which is actually less than the average user. I use the sites differently: one site to network, one to chat with my friends and one to keep up on relevant information that I find interesting. I recently signed up to use HootSuite to communicate widespread information, but honestly, I don’t prefer it over using the actual social media sites. I do agree that it is convenient and it’s great that it is free, however I think people will eventually stop using these sites because they aren’t as direct and equipped. I guess if someone is just starting out on social media sites, then sites like HootSuite are a great way to relay information to the general audience. Otherwise, it is just another Website.

2. cmmassey says:

I think it is interesting how you don’t prefer HootSuite over the actual media sites. I have found sometimes it is easier to navigate on the individual sites. Also, some messages and posting must be catered to the specific site. Twitter uses hash marks and tagging to target audiences. Facebook the news updates and status updates to show what your friends are doing. These sites aren’t as direct, but I think over time they will be. Social Media is still new, and it can only expand from here. I think that although sites like HootSuite are more generalized, eventually they will become more specific.

3. jmjohn27 says:

I agree with you when you say this is a great tool but it cannot be a complete replacement for manual (social media) labor. There is always going to be something that is not planned. I think this tool can be great for daily and routine information posts but it could never be set up and then forgotten about forever. Personally, it is not an inconvenience for me to update my social media but I can see how it could become a burden for others who maybe don’t get the whole social media craze. Plus, I view social media as a two-way street … I give ideas but I also get ideas. Tools such as the ones you mentioned are great for people who don’t want to receive information, just give it. If everyone did that then what would be the point?