Where does this comma go?

What did reporters do before the AP Stylebook was created? It can be used as a guide for everything…grammar, punctuation and basic practices of reporting. As a journalism student it has saved my life. At my internship everyone refers to it for help. It is considered the standard way of writing. It prevents confusion and repetitive questions and mistakes. But how did it start in the first place? And who is to say that AP editors have to be the ones to update it annually? Other than the obvious title of the stylebook…How come newspapers, social media and news broadcasting networks always are at competition to outdo one another, but no one has attempted to do the same for the AP Stylebook? Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think there should be other competitors, but I am just curious as to how the AP Stylebook attained so much credibility throughout the years and maintained it. Every year they come up with a new edition, which means there are new edits and additions. Don’t people question why those additions weren’t included the year before? All in a sudden it occurs to the editors to think that needs to be added? Or is the process more intricate than I know?

They are now offering AP Stylebook on Twitter to have followers refer to and ask questions. The stylebook encompasses both the skill to be a traditional method of reference and an online resource that has kept up with the trends.

Oh AP Stylebook, I don’t know what people would do without you.

1 Response to Where does this comma go?

1. Carleen says:

Professional writers, including PR practitioners, rely on AP style as a way to standardize language and ensure their writing is clear, coherent and accurate.

I’m glad you mentioned the AP Stylebook’s Twitter site, http://twitter.com/apstylebook. This allows writers to engage and interact with AP Stylebook editors by learning useful factoids and asking style questions. In fact, @APStylebook is how I learned about the new AP style guideline change from the cumbersome, awkward Web site to website. I’m glad the AP made this change, because it’s more aligned with current practice and Internet culture. Now I’m just waiting for them to change the archaic e-mail to email.

I think it’s interesting that you question what writers did before the publication of the AP Stylebook in 1977. I would imagine they followed traditional English rules, Strunk and White’s “The Elements of Style” and dictionaries for grammar, punctuation, spelling and usage. The initial editors of the AP Stylebook devised the manual by looking through many newspaper articles and drawing conclusions about what was standard practice in writing, and from this they created the rulebook.

I think that’s still going on today as the AP Stylebook evolves and is itself edited — such as the change from Web site to website reflecting modern usage. If a way of writing becomes standard practice outside of AP style in journalism and PR, it will likely eventually infiltrate journalism and PR by being welcomed into the AP Stylebook.