Power nap? Don’t mind if I do.

Since I was in kindergarten all the way until my senior year of college, I have noticed the overwhelming amount of times that I’ve wanted/needed a power nap. This mostly occurs right after lunch, around 2:00 or 3:00 p.m. and usually while sitting in an (uninteresting) lecture or a (boring) internship. Does anybody else feel this way?

This article shows proof that catching a few zzzz’s can do amazing things for your body, especially for us sleep-deprived college students.

According to the Ririan Project blog, researchers have shown that the human body requires only as much sleep as the brain allows. So basically the body can survive on little sleep and doesn’t always need that set “8-hour” rest that is recommended. Though the brain can run at full capacity without much sleep, a short 20-minute nap can give it the “full tank of gas” that it needs.

I know when I can sneak in a power nap, my day seems so much brighter. I can actually think through difficult online quizzes, endure long class lectures, and even finish the day without an energy drink! It’s amazing!

10 Benefits of the POWER nap:

1. Less stress.
  2. Increased alertness and productivty. (This is good for constructing client campaigns).
  3. Improved memory and learning. (Good for memorizing our final presentation script).
  4. Good for the heart. (Will be able to LOVE our clients).
  5. Increased cognitive functioning.
  6. Get motivated to exercise. ( May motivate us to take the stairs rather than the elevator).
  7. Boost your creativity. (Will help in creating client slogan/theme).
  8. Make up for midnight tossing and turning. (And for those evil campaigns nightmares).
  9. Protect yourself from sleepiness. (inside the classroom of course).
  10. Better health.

So how can we achieve this goal of taking a power nap when we are at school?

Here’s my proposed solution. Introducing… (drum roll please?)

sleepboxx

THE SLEEP BOX!!!

Introduced on the Billionaire Boy’s Club blog, the Sleepbox mini hotel could be a fantastic addition to any work space. And since much work takes place at universities, WHY NOT host it here?

The Sleep Box is equipped with a comfortable bed, an automatic bed linen changer, built-in LCD TV, WiFi,  and sockets for laptops and phone chargers. It’s intended primarily to perform one main function — to enable a person to sleep peacefully. But with anything else this amazing, there is a cost per nap. We’ll get Cronkite to take care of this.

sl

Perhaps we can have Cronkite students sign a petition to have these Sleep Boxes established in our beautiful facitility. The fresh effects of power naps will surely spark innovation and much needed creativity. WHO’S WITH ME?

This entry was posted in R.A.D.R.. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Power nap? Don’t mind if I do.

1. srugeris says:

SIGN ME UP! These things look super comfortable and cozy. As long as it comes with that automatic linen changer then I’m all for it. Seriously though, I don’t see why more corporations and large businesses don’t operate on a globalized 24-hour time clock in every nation. It seems like this product could be used to the advantage of an entire night shift if a company of about 300 bought 5 of these. This may be a trend that might become popular around the 2030 decade. For now, I think people are way too comfortable with their 9 to 5 jobs, but I know there is a large portion of people who wouldn’t mind working a graveyard shift in real time communication from Russia to the US. I know I wouldn’t, especially if I was allowed an hour break per shift in that totally awesome Sleep Box. Good post Rachel =).

• rniu says:

Thank you Sam. I completely agree that this would be such a rewarding commodity to have in huge corporations and in most metropolitan areas. Why not start it in the heart of Phoenix, our beautiful Cronkite building?

2. jmetz says:

Sammi, I completely agree with you. I think that people are way too comfortable with their 9 to 5 jobs. But, more importantly how great would this be in Hayden Library! Everyone pulls all nighters there. Instead of locking myself in a cage on the forth floor, I would be so much more comfortable on a bed with a pull out table for my laptop, and if I get tired I can conveniently take a power nap. As I type this I am sitting in the Cronkite library on a comfy couch, but I am barely able to keep my eyes open after a long night on homework. I wish I can rest in a sleep box.

In addition, Google is HUGE with client satisfaction. I wonder if they will but sleep boxes in their company buildings.

• rniu says:

Funny you should mention Google. I read Ken Auletta’s book Googled as part of my business journalism class and it talked about how well Google treated their employees. They provide fantastic benefits including health and have an established “20%” rule, allowing employees to spend 20% of their working time doing whatever they want. Maybe Google has already set up these Sleep Boxes in their facilities. I totally agree that sleeping in a Sleep Box is MUCH MORE comfortable than ANY ASU library, chair, or desk.

3. hbearat says:

I completely feel the same way as you, I get sleepy right after I eat lunch and that is because food has that effect on us. I do wish we were more like Mexico where they have that siesta time in their afternoons. All the shops and restaurants are entitled to close so that the owners and employees can take a nap. Wouldn’t it be nice if we had that? Or like in preschool when we had nap time? What is funny about it is when we were allowed to have a nap time in school we were reluctant to follow the rules. Now that we don’t have that nap time, we just want to sleep in class or not even attend class and sleep in.

I love the idea of the Sleep Box. I do think the Cronkite school should invest in them. Perhaps in the near future, once the state budget improves.

Now imagine how difficult it is for me to resist taking a nap, when I am interning at a medical center and there is a sleep center with rooms of comfortable beds open. I always am tempted to run in there and take a 30 minute power nap. How much would my supervisor love me then?:)

4. Winston Churchill took a 20 minute nap every afternoon during the war. Of course he was often loaded.

5. hmick says:

First of all, I definitely agree that there needs to be some time built into everyone’s day for a nap sesh. It doesn’t matter if you are the CEO of a fortune 500 company or a stay-at-home mom, when the clock hits midday, everyone feels a little restless. What’s funny about the pictures you posted about the “Sleepbox” was that I actually stayed in something quite similar to it when I was in Japan. The place where I stayed had a few different options, depending on how big or how small you wanted your bed, and you paid hourly. After traveling all night on a bus from Kyoto to Tokyo my three friends and I decided to give this a try, and boy was it amazing!! I think we ended up renting one (instead of an over-priced hotel) for about $40 for 4 or 5 hours. Not to mention, there were others, not just travelers, in there doing the same thing. I definitely think that we will be seeing more and more of these “sleep boxes” as we get older!

6. bwhite says:

I think the “sleep box” is an incredible idea! Everyone needs to be able to take a nap during their day whether its at work, school, or home and i think these boxes are a perfect solution. I do agree that we will be seeing a lot more of these “sleep boxes” as we get older. Also, with the economy going the way that it is these boxes could be the perfect alternative to hotels. One can rent a box for less money then they do a hotel! This is a genius idea! Overall, i am all for “sleep boxes” and hope to see them in Arizona soon!

7. ebratkovich says:

Great post! I love the “sleep box” idea! I believe many people these days don’t think they ‘deserve’ a nap because they should be working instead. Americans are obsessed with work and are ALWAYS doing something-whether it be working at the office, running at the gym, bringing kids to school etc. We don’t know how to unwind and relax. I know that I never give myself permission to take a nap on a day when I really need one. It is so important to treat our bodies right and sleep is key for a better health. Just a quick nap can do wonders! I absolutely agree that the Cronkite school should look into getting some sleep boxes installed!