Twitter plays detective role

No one knows what the future may bring, however we can tweet about our thoughts. Twitter has been populating the Cronkite School like a wildfire.  Twitter has opened business opportunities for many and and recently reunited  Austin Horse and his orange bicycle.

Years ago, if a bicycle was stolen you would most likely not see it again. But, in this day in age, thanks to the Internet and the Twitter website, Horse was able to find the bicycle snatcher.

Horse, went into the store and did not lock his bike up entirely, however he said he kept a close eye on it.  Clearly, not well enough. Naturally, Horse posted pictures around the area, but he also took it a step further. Horse immediately tweeted, “my orange gangsta just got stolen 28th & mad.” In a a giant (New York) city, Horse feared his bicycle would never be found. However, thanks to one of the newest social media tools, “the orange gangster” was back to his rightful owner.

Horse’s friend and twitter follow,  Eddie Brannan, was walking to a deli near Stanton Street with his wife, when he recognized the orange bike parked.  Brannan contacted Horse and the rest is Twitter history.

————————————————————————————————–

Direct Tweet from Brannan and Horse’s Twitter:

eddiebrannan : It was unlocked upside down outside a deli on stanton. Didnt feel like discussing it so i just took it. ”

Follow Austin Horse and read updates on how Austin

This entry was posted in ABC PR, Godspeed Communications, Sparkle Media, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Twitter plays detective role

1. dsmith says:

I love this story. Twitter saves another day! Technology ceaselessly changes the way we go about our daily lives. If you would have told me 5 years ago that a stolen bike would be findable on some social network online, I would have laughed in your face. My question is, do you think social media is a fad of this generation? Will our kids make fun of us for conjugating and discussing things online? Or will social media start snowballing from now through future generations?

2. crandell says:

I think this is one of the most powerful examples of how fast information, good or bad, is exchanged. I have a similar story to this post. Last semester, I was forced to create my own blog and twitter account for online media. I decided to follow Sparky the Sun Devil (ASU Athletics Twitter) who just so happened to be my former employers. In order to crank out the mandatory number of tweets, I said, “hey check out my blog!” not even an hour later, I got a text message telling me, my blog just got forwarded to the entire office of where I used to intern. It took me a while to realize that my old boss must be the admin on the twitter account, had seen my tweet regarding my blog, read my blog, and forwarded it everyone I know! Needless to say, the feedback was positive, but still a little terrifying.

3. acarlin says:

While I’m not a huge fan of Twitter, this is a great story! I can’t believe he got it back in New York, of all places. Some people complain about our dependance on technology, and how it complicates things, but this is a great example of how its so useful. People are always finding creative ways to use Twitter and other social media tools. In terms of PR uses for Twitter, I think companies are really utilizing it. For example, Sprinkles Cupcakes has a “word of the day” and they tweet it for customers to come in and receive a free cupcake. I think this is such a creative way to use Twitter!

4. ddarnell says:

I used to think Twitter was a waste of time but lately I’ve come to realize how useful it really is. I really like this story, it just goes to show that social media can be useful and make a difference in our society. We live in this 24-7 news cycle so why can’t we use these social media sites to our advantage just like in this story.