TOMS Shoes Campaign is the Definition of Success

I’m sure “ASU’s Day Without Shoes” event has popped up on your newsfeed. If it hasn’t there is most likely one or more of your friends on Facebook who were invited. This event was designed to promote TOMS, a shoe company made famous by their charitable efforts. TOMS’ slogan is “with every pair you purchase, TOMS will give a pair of new shoes to a child in need. One For One.”

Their new “One Day Without Shoes” campaign was designed to be picked up by communities, cities and college campuses around the world, so people can know what it feels like to not have shoes. The company has received an overwhelming amount of support for their good work, and were even featured on a national AT&T commercial.

Not to say that TOMS didn’t do any traditional advertising and public relations, but AT&T, one of the largest wireless phone companies in the world, featured them in a national commercial that told what TOMS shoes did for less fortunate children. That is more than any business could ask for, and I think their public relations approach and strategies are so unique and amazing. In fact, one blog about teaching PR wrote a post last year about this annual event and how she had received a n e-mail pitch about “One Day Without Shoes.

In this tough economy, where businesses are struggling to stay afloat financially, TOMS is thriving. This shows that people do really care about others less fortunate than them, and TOMS is a perfect example of a genuine company who is sincere about helping others. They are essentially giving away 50% of their inventory, and those actions alone are what got so much media attention.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to TOMS Shoes Campaign is the Definition of Success

1. cnaughton says:

I absolutely love this campaign. You touched on various things that TOMS has done well in terms of their branding and messaging. The company’s commitment to social responsibility and the way they incorporated it into their business model is largely what has made their product so successful. I also think TOMS has done a great job targeting their stakeholders. You mentioned how TOMS “One Day Without Shoes” event can be found all over Facebook. Through social media, the company has made this event popular and made people want to be a part of it. On the same note, there are also several TOMS Shoes events hosted locally throughout the year and most of the time, they are only promoted on Facebook. In the end, the company is hitting their target demographic and they are communicating with them the way they want to be communicated with. I agree that TOMS is doing so many things right and I am excited about One Day Without Shoes!

• crandell says:

I completely agree with you. I think the success of TOMS Shoes was because of the emotional visualization they presented to their viewers through the use of AT&T. They work everyday for such a good cause and that commercial tugged at the heart strings of America. I remember that commercial very vividly. As far as the “One Day Without Shoes” event is concerned, I think they are right to use social media platforms to boost publicity about the event. Unfortunately I have yet to hear that much about this event, but through this blog I have become aware and will be looking for a way that I can become involved. I enjoy hearing positive outcomes of campaigns, and this one especially because it is such a good cause.

2. alevy says:

Great topic. I agree this is a successful campaign that has/will help so many less fortunate children around the world. I think the way that TOM’s has promoted this campaign to communities all over the world is a beneficial, positive way to get people involved on local levels and help create a brand and further reach their goals. After reading this post, I checked out the website (www.onedaywithoutshoes.com) and right on the home page there are multiple links and information about the campaign as well as ways to host, find and promote your own “One Day Without Shoes” events with friends and families in your own local community. (Such as the one you mentioned coming up at ASU). I think this is a great way to connect and raise awareness by incorporating their own event with ways to get involved, help and become educated about something we may take for granted everyday. As far as the “One Day Without Shoes” event goes, I agree that utilizing social media to boost publicity is very strategic and effective. Social media has helped make their event known and popular and reached out to all types of people interested in supporting their great cause. Furthermore, TOMS emotionally connected with their audience by exposing the truth about less fortunate children and are using their product to make a difference.

3. alevy says:

4. dsmith says:

I cannot say enough about both this campaign and the company in general. “One Day Without Shoes” is such a creative idea and I especially love the description they give for it: “We are asking people to go the day, part of the day or even just a few minutes barefoot to experience a life without shoes first-hand and to help spread awareness of the impact a simple pair of shoes can bring to a child’s life.” This is an awareness campaign, but the outreach will also provide for further brand credibility. I like how the organization has used social media to disseminate the campaign to a larger audience. They also have a “Walk with us in…” running countdown on their site creating excitement for the event and offering incentive to return to the site.

5. lmontijo says:

I also really love this campaign. The whole company’s purpose is to help others and this is why their PR efforts are so successful. People like to hear about others who are helping during this hard economic time. People who were giving to charities in previous years may not be able to as they struggle to keep up and the fact that this company is giving 50% of their inventory away is capturing many people’s attention. It is much easier for people to buy shoes knowing that they are giving a child in Africa a pair of shoes at the same time. From the eyes of a customer, the cause touches the emotional side of people, which we all know is the biggest influential emotion.

The fact that they’re reaching out to college communities says a lot about their company’s culture. The AT&T commercials show the founder as a genuine and youthful guy who connects with the young adult generation. I have been wanting to buy a pair of these shoes since I saw the commercials, so I’d say they’re successful.

6. hhoma says:

After reading your post about it, I, too, think Toms has done a good job promoting this event and that it will be a successful campaign. But it seems odd to me that they partnered with AT&T of all companies. Wouldn’t a popular shoe store, like Payless, have been a better idea? I would argue that they have just as many commercials as AT&T and that it would make more sense. I haven’t actually heard about this campaign prior, and I haven’t seen the AT&T commercial, but I imagine that if I had seen it, I would wonder why shoes were being promoted with telephones. Either way, the shoe company reached broader audiences with this partnership, and it will ultimately help their campaign.

7. hbearat says:

I think Toms has done a great job campaigning this event. Like Dsmith stated this is an awareness campaign, but at the same time building the brands credibility. I think their match up with AT&T was a smart one, because that is not something most people would expect, but AT&T’s prominence in media can help Toms attain a more prominent role in its campaign.

8. hmick says:

I love the TOMS company and everything that they stand for. If only every PR campaign had the type of vision and heart that this company has created. Have any of you seen the commercial that has recently ran for TOMS? Amazing. After traveling last year, I realized how many people don’t have shoes and try to imagine how different my life would be if I didn’t have a pair of shoes. The other day I was actually thinking about what my life would be like if I didn’t have the Converse shoes that I was wearing and I realized that I wouldn’t be able to work in a restaurant because it wouldn’t be sanitary and my feet would be torn to pieces. The emotional connection that this campaign perceives is the definition of giving back and I really appreciate TOMS as a company with an amazing vision for the world.

9. ebratkovich says:

This is such an amazing idea. I absolutely love TOMS and their passion to help those less fortunate is great and so refreshing. TOMS is such a sincere company and I think this really resonates with people. People WANT to help other people but many don’t feel they have the time to do so. TOMS has created a way for people to help others by doing nothing but buy the shoes they love. People don’t have to fill out forms or sign up for anything. I love the idea of knowing that the shoes I bought helped someone in need. I hope more companies can start something like this, great work!