School cancels prom

School prom canceled after lesbian’s date request

Mar. 11, 2010 06:20 AM
Associated Press

JACKSON, Miss. – An 18-year-old student says a Mississippi school board that canceled a high school prom did so in retaliation for her request to bring a same-sex date.

The American Civil Liberties Union had demanded that the Itawamba County school district allow senior Constance McMillen to attend with her girlfriend. A school district policy requires that dates be of the opposite sex.

A school board statement Wednesday announced the district wouldn’t host the April prom. The district’s statement didn’t mention McMillen’s request but did refer to unspecified recent “distractions.”

McMillen tells The Clarion-Ledger of Jackson in Thursday’s edition that other students at the school will hate her for the board’s decision and called it retaliation.

———————————————————————————————————————-

There are some days that I wonder if all 50 states are part of the same country. I went to my proms and so did all of my friends. I guess none of us had the issue of having to take someone of the same sex, but there is no way my high school in Scottsdale, Ariz. would have canceled our prom due to one person’s choice of who they are attracted to and decide to bring to a school dance.

I understand that southern states have come a long way since the days of the Jim Crow Laws, but they need to move at a faster rate. There is now that imbalance amongst the states. There are states that allow same sex marriage, while others cancel a prom because of a lesbian couple.

Something needs to be done about this, whether it means having the Human Rights Department of the United Nations intervene or some parents who are not so close minded voice their opinions in front of the school board. Students shouldn’t be lax about this either. This issue is far more complex than the fact that a prom is being canceled; it is expressing how some individual’s rights are being violated due to their sexuality…in the 21st century.

This article reminds me of the film Footloose and how teens weren’t able to dance or have a school dance…what has America turned to? Or failed to evolve to?

3 Responses to School cancels prom

1. hmick says:

I definitely agree with you in that there are still states in the United States that are stuck in the 1950’s. I find it so disheartening that to this day, people still cannot express themselves for who they are, in a state that they live in. I clearly remember at my high school back in Colorado, two girls attended prom together that were obviously lesbians. Not only did one wear a tux and the other wear a dress but nothing was said about it…ever. Turn the page to a school in the south and look what happens. This world is full of far too many other things than to sit around and harp on someone for their sexual preference. I just wish these people would take the hatred they have for this issue and put it toward better use for things that are far much worse happening in the world.

2. ddarnell says:

Growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area I laugh when I hear stories like this. People in the South are still so far behind the rest of the country on so many levels. The school officials seem to be very close-minded. Is it really that big of a deal for two girls to attend the prom together? I mean seriously, what’s the worst that could happen? There is no reason to punish the rest of the seniors attending prom just because they fear that a lesbian couple will attend. I hope that this decision is reveresed so that the students can attend the prom. The school board needs to re-evaluate the whole situation.

3. cwilusz says:

When I read this news article i was completely disgusted by the actions taken by the school. I guess I have too much faith in this country because I really did think we were getting past peoples insecurities with homosexuality. I think it is so sad that these girls were not allowed to attend their prom because OTHER people thought it was wrong. I personally think these girls should fight back and sue the school district because it is completely wrong and they should be sued for discrimination!