Good PR for Jesse James?

I’m sure most of you have already heard the allegations of Jesse James cheating on Sandra Bullock. These allegations come at an awful time especially since Bullock swept this award season, and many would say she is at the peak of her career. Sadly, it is not the same for her personal life. Well after word broke that James has been cheating on Bullock with a tattoo artist he issued a formal apology to Bullock and his kids on Thursday.

According to a statement James released to  PEOPLE ,”The vast majority of the allegations reported are untrue and unfounded. Beyond that, I will not dignify these private matters with any further public comment,” said James,”There is only one person to blame for this whole situation, and that is me. It’s because of my poor judgment that I deserve everything bad that is coming my way.

“This has caused my wife and kids pain and embarrassment beyond comprehension and I am extremely saddened to have brought this on them. I am truly very sorry for the grief I have caused them. I hope one day they can find it in their hearts to forgive me.”

Do you think issuing a public apology to Bullock and his kids was a good pr move? I am up in the air on if   I believe this was a smart move for James. I do think that when you need to deal with crisis management the first thing to do is admit your fault and then progress from there, and that is what James did. He admits to causing his wife and kids grief but yet does not admit any wrongdoing stating that most of the allegations are false. So I wonder what exactly is the truth? He obviously did something wrong or else why would he make a public statement?

Although I think it was a smart decision to come out with a statement because a lot of publicity is being caused around these allegations, I question why he would not just tell Bullock and his kids himself? Do you think they are not speaking and going through the media was the only way he felt he could reach them? I just feel that given the embarrassment that these allegations have caused him and his family why would he not want to keep matters in the public eye?

This entry was posted in Godspeed Communications and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Good PR for Jesse James?

1. hhoma says:

I have always thought that a public apology is the best thing to do following a sex scandal. But cwilusz brings up a good point that I had not realized when I heard that Jesse James released a statement: He admits to causing his wife and kids grief but yet does not admit any wrongdoing (since he said, “The vast majority of the allegations reported are untrue and unfounded.”)

Therefore, I would argue that his “apology” was not the right PR move in this case, simply because it wasn’t an effective apology. It left me thinking that he was trying to underplay the situation, rather than remedy the situation. He mentions his poor judgment but does not admit to actually cheating on his wife. It’s almost like he’s trying to say that he’s sorry, but that he really didn’t do what everyone blames him for doing. It’s fine that he said the majority of allegations are untrue, but he should have also said what allegations are true. Whoever helped him prepare this statement should have encouraged him to be more specific about what happened and THEN to apologize for it.

• cwilusz says:

I agree completely. I think in most cases a public apology is needed to help redeem a reputation and clear up aspects so that people know the truth. But James just makes us wonder what the hell he did? It is not good PR because now people are wondering even more

2. a_hundza says:

I feel the same way. To me, his apology is kind of just a safety, but he really didn’t admit to anything or bring any light to the situation. It was good of him to do so for Sandra’s sake because, let’s face it, her career puts his out of sight, but I see it as a desperate attempt pushed on him by both PR teams. They’ve done a good job at keeping things calm since then, so maybe that’s all they really wanted out of it. As long as something else doesn’t come up (umm Tiger?) this may be solved more quietly.

3. cwilusz says:

It is definitely a safety. I think his camp felt pressured to let the media know something so he wanted to try and save his reputation by not admitting fault but at the same time wanted to come off as a guy who truly felt sorry.

4. dolson says:

I think his apology is a typical celebrity whitewash of admitting to a scandal existing but without admitting guilt or responsibility. Notice that he said he’s sorry for causing his family grief but not sorry for what he’s done; also he hopes for forgiveness but gives no evidence of how he will earn forgiveness. HIs words are weak and unconvincing because they are so routine.

But I sympathize with his insistence that it’s a matter between him and his family. The public has no right to intrude and he has no obligation to feed the scandal sheets. I expect he has apologized in private, and he should do his relationship mending in private.

5. jmetz says:

I believe Jesse James handled his apology with class, and I agree with dolson that I expect he has apologized in private, and he should do his relationship mending in private. It saddens me that this occurred to Sandra Bullock, especially after such a happy time in her life. I think that it is great Jesse James admitted to his wrongdoings right away and chose not to hide anything. He used great crisis communication skills and by apologizing it is a huge plus. He was honest with what happened and showed empathy. He decided not to hide anything, like Tiger, or blame anyone else for his sins. Furthermore, Jesse James did not ignore the truth, there were no forced confessions, questions were answered and he did not say “off the record.” I think this crisis communication was handled with great PR skills, but poor judgment for Jesse James.

6. hmick says:

I think that public apologies have become such an expected thing that the emotion that they “provoke” through them comes across as unattached and forced. Also, these people’s publicists have written the speeches that they actually READ off the paper to the reporters that show even more of a lack of emotion. I think that these situations are such private matters and that Jesse James should talk to his wife before he comes out and tries to seal it over with the public.