What Now?

As many other seniors in the sections of JMc 417 this spring, I find myself asking the question what now? With graduation quickly approaching, I am also often times asked what I am going to do with my life, which is a pretty intesnse question if you think about it. There are so many questions that arise out of those simple words, like when should you start applying for jobs, and where should you look?

While there are a few courses at the Cronkite School that are aimed at helping us prepare for our futures in the journalism world, such as the JMC 473 Business and Future of Journalism (A.K.A a class whose bottom line is to tell us that print journalism is dead), it is hard to really be prepared for our futures. It will be a rude awakening for most of us when we have to trade in our flip flops and jean shorts for a pants suit and heels.

While no one can fully prepare us for the next chapter in our lives, here is an article that I think will be helpful to those graduating in a couple months.

2010 Career Search: Job Hunt Tips for a Strong Start– This article gives some good tips on how to conduct a thorough job search in this tough economy.

I also find it very necessary that part of your journalism curriculum is to have obtained a public relations internship. This is the closest thing to a “real” job as most of us will get to experience, before we actually enter the “real world.” Working in a corporate setting also allows us to see what we do and don’t like. We may think we know exactly what we want to do, but it could turn out to be misleading or disappointing.

PRWeek is a great site for finding PR jobs across the country. You can create a profile and upload your resume.

PR Crossing is also a great networking site for PR professionals.

This entry was posted in Nuclear Communications. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to What Now?

1. alevy says:

This is ironic that you posted this today, because I was literally thinking about graduation all weekend. It is hard to believe that we have to figure out what to do with the rest of our lives in a matter of a few short months. I definitely agree about the internship requirement for the journalism school curriculum. I think it is necessary as well as helpful for students to gain experience and go through the process of interviewing and competition, because this is what we will face in the “real world.” I also know some of my friends in other majors are not required to have an internship and therefore have not gained experience working in their career fields. Although the internship program is very well organized, I feel that the Cronkite School should focus more on helping seniors with the job search process. I know they offer various resources on the ASU/Cronkite website (http://cronkite.asu.edu/experience/pr_strategic_media.php) but personally, I would like to have more guidance about the job search process and deadlines we should be aware of in general.

2. cwilusz says:

I agree with you statement on how a vital aspect to a public relations students career is to have an internship. Being a senior as well and the fact that we will be going out into the real world in a couple months is pretty scary and having some real work experience is alleviating the pressure a little bit for me. Also, i have noticed in interviews a lot of employers want you to have a couple previous internships. As a recent grad I think it is going to be hard to get your foot in the door without these internships on your resume.

3. dolson says:

Internships are key to earning a job after graduation. Going to class is not enough; you need that real-world experience to get you seasoned. The more you do, the better you look. Taking honors courses and keeping a 4.0 GPA is excellent, but employers want to know how you operate outside of campus. Aside from the experience, interning also demonstrates you understand responsibility, obligate your duties and keep self-discipline. Professionalism doesn’t come from just going to class on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

And I don’t even have a pants suit and heels. That will be the rudest awakening of all.

4. jmetz says:

I agree with all of the posts, especially that internships are key to earning a job after graduation. I feel like I did not start to actually learn what the real world is like up until my internship, when everything was hands on, and in my upper division classes. JMC 415 taught me how to write everything from news releases to blog entries. Online media taught me all about websites, and I discovered a new love. Now, in JMC 417 my professor actually owns his own PR firm which is beyond helpful. He is preparing us to learn EXACTLY what to need to know post graduation in order to be successful. I am finally feeling to start more confident about putting myself out there is the world. I also agree that you need to be involved in activities outside of the classroom and internships. Being involved in clubs and organizations around campus has helped me to meet other students and faculty who share my interests. After graduation, it is a scary feeling, but I have full confidence that we will all be fine. After all we did graduate from one of the best journalism schools in the country.