Viva Las Vegas!!!

Las Vegas Fun Facts (From lasvegas.gov website)

• The city of Las Vegas celebrated its 100th birthday on May 15, 2005. The event celebrated the May 15, 1905 land auction when 110 acres of land in downtown Las Vegas were auctioned off.
  • A 1910 law made it illegal to gamble in Las Vegas. The Nevada Legislature later approved a legalized gambling bill in 1931.
  • The first hotel and casino to open in Las Vegas was the Golden Gate Hotel and Casino in 1906.
  • The Hoover Dam was completed in 1935. It took a total of 21,000 men five years to complete the structure.
  • The Moulin Rouge, the city’s first racially integrated hotel, opened in 1955.
  • In 1957, topless showgirls debuted on the Las Vegas Strip in “Minsky’s Follies” at the Dunes.
  • The famous “Welcome to Las Vegas” sign was created in 1959 by Betty Willis.
  • More than 5,000 people move into the Las Vegas valley on a monthly basis.
  • Las Vegas is home to Clark County School District, the fifth largest school district, which currently handles more than 280,000 students.
  • The famous Las Vegas strip is for the most part, not within the city limits of Las Vegas. The majority of the strip is located within Clark County.
  • The Stratosphere Hotel and Tower, at more than 1,100 feet, is the tallest building west of the Mississippi and the fifth tallest building in the United States.
  • A marriage license costs $55 in Nevada. Many couples choose to marry in Nevada because there is no blood test or waiting period.

Every year, 36.7 million people visit the city of Las Vegas, Neva. Next weekend I will contribute to that number. Las Vegas is one of those cities that no matter how old you are, there is always something for you to do. Going to that city gives people a thrill and a little bit of their adventurous and devilish side is exposed. Men look to take a break from their stressful lives at work and home and splurge on drinks, gambling and impressing young naïve women. Women visit to take a break from their motherly duties, PTA meetings and hours trapped in a cubicle. People do crazy things while there, they get married to someone they just met, elope to that city to get married away from the chaos, throw bachelorette parties, birthday parties and the list could go on and on. It seems like the one thing everyone has in common the minute they step foot on the strip is that they want to forget everything they left behind and for a few days live in the now.

I have visited the city three times in my life…all at very different stages in my life.

The first time, was when my family had just moved to the United States from France. We went with another family and while my parents gambled and went to a cowboy bar and sang karaoke we rode the roller coasters at Circus Circus, ate at buffet restaurants and swam in the hotel pool.

n10049511_31387578_514The second time I visited the city I was a junior in high school. I went to a concert with my two sisters and mother. We shopped, walked through all the different hotels and dined at nice restaurants.

The last time I visited Sin city, I was able to truly experience the nightlife and all that the city encompasses…I had just turned 21J I was there for New Year’s Eve and it was one of my best friend’s 21st birthday. I was able to gamble for the first time in my life…No worries I wasn’t a big spender, I won $20 playing blackjack and walked away. I used the world’s nicest bathroom, rode the New York roller coaster and was screaming the whole time and never went to bed before 5 a.m.n10048395_42977980_3608

Now as I think about next weekend, I wonder what new adventures will come my way. Will I be a part of the 315 weddings that take place in a day? Probably not. Will I spend all my money gambling? Maybe. I guess we will just have to see and I will report back once I’m back!

3 Responses to Viva Las Vegas!!!

1. srugeris says:

The city of Las Vegas has been such a successful international travel destination because of the unique image it has. People come from all over the world to see what all the talk is about. The city strip is like a playground for adults, all of them fantasizing about the idea of being the lucky winner. When I saw the first commercial with the already overused cliché “What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas” back in 03’ I was shocked that they didn’t use something original. I think it was effective advertising because the campaign must have hammered it into everyone’s brains, leading to millions of dollars in revenue. I think party of the reason is because everyone wanted to be a part of the trendy party scene culture that the snips of commercials showed. Especially with the release of “The Hangover” I feel like all my friends have been taking weekend trips over there any way they can. I refuse to hop on the bandwagon. Vegas is true to its image of “Sin City”. Forget that take me to Paris, the city of love.

• hmick says:

I never realized how big of a destination Las Vegas was until I started dating a boy from Europe. Every one of his friend’s calls him and asks if they can come visit us so we can take a road trip to Vegas and I’m sitting here thinking “WHY”?! Then I realized, every movie that shows a typical American “party” atmosphere is held in Vegas. Remember “The Hangover”? I think Las Vegas has become a typical “American” labeling machine. You can find anything you want in that 5-mile strip (or however long it is). Not only can you leave all your inhibitions behind, but you can feel guilt-free about doing so!

2. So? Did anything stay in Vegas?