Cause PR/Marketing Campaigns

Every company wants to be affiliated with a good cause. And every non-profit and charity wants to make a name for themselves to garner donations for their cause. As Krista Rogers writes in Authentic PR Counsel, “Cause marketing campaigns are a great way to create positive buzz about your company and create support for the non-profit organization; it truly is a win-win situation”.

You see it everywhere. Chilis and St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Yoplait’s “Save Lids to Save Lives” campaign. Cheerios and the American Heart Association. Companies everywhere jump at opportunities to support a good cause and build a positive reputation. And why shouldn’t they?

October, known for Halloween and beer-lovers’ Oktoberfest but also, October is known for breast cancer awareness month thanks solely to Susan G Komen for the Cure.

The Susan G. Komen foundation has, in my opinion, completely upped the ante these last few years. Look around you today. The NFL for one has professional football players wearing pink gloves and sporting pink cleats on national television. The Geek Squad at Best Buy now proudly displays pink ties around their necks.  Companies from all over are showing their pink pride and it isn’t just geared to women only companies anymore.

The campaign has gone after almost every top brand name in America and beyond, and these brands are finding more and more creative ways to affiliate themselves with Susan G…Not bad for a non-profit that started out just over twenty years ago and slowly began with the pink ribbon and the 5k walk.

Every aspect of PR has its own enticing characteristics to it. The stress and adrenaline of crisis PR, or the speed and swiftness of social media (to name a couple) but it is the aspect of cause PR and Marketing that can truly leave a lasting impression.

Read Krista’s blog to get a few hints on what makes a great cause PR campaign

4 Responses to Cause PR/Marketing Campaigns

1. bgansar says:

I find it interesting that you posted about this topic because I was just talking to my friend about how I feel like October, being known for “Breast Cancer Awareness Month,” has recently turned into “Beer Fun Awareness Month.” I agree that the Komen foundation has done amazing things and in the past it usually is a huge deal- I’ve seen fountains turned pink for the month and jerseys-pink galore! However, this year hasn’t shown much enthusiasm toward the cause. It is a well established event/foundation/cause but I think they need something new and exciting besides another breast cancer awareness walk.

2. glindsay says:

I completely agree, the Susan G Komen Foundation has done a fantastic job not only becoming a household name, but pairing up with big name companies to support them. What I like about these pairings is exactly what you touched on, they find new and unique ways to support them. A local high school, Marcos Di Niza, just had their entire football team and marching band wearing pink for one of their games because of a teacher that has been fighting breast cancer. These are great pointers and I think it’s great advice to take away for the PR practitioner.

3. ekozak says:

In most cases cause-related marketing is a win-win situation for all parties involved. In the case of the NFL and the Susan G. Komen Foundation, both parties are finding exposure with new publics. The NFL has been trying to reach out to new demographics in multiple ways. Teams have been scheduled to play games in international markets to open up the sport to new audiences abroad. Partnering with the Susan G. Komen foundation exposes females, who may have previously been uninterested in football, to the sport. The Susan G. Komen Foundation most likely gets a hefty check from the NFL and football fans around the nation get a healthy dose of information about breast cancer.

Also, I think being affiliated with a charitable cause really builds goodwill for a company or organization. And the NFL can use some goodwill and good press (ummm, hello Michael Vick).

I think this is a unique partnership and I look forward to seeing the gains for both organizations.

4. sclarke says:

I very much agree (along with the rest of you) with the Susan G. Komen foundation and their partnering with the NFL. What better way to get people’s attention? I love seeing the pink on the jersey’s because this reaches a whole new audience. I find it very beneficial for organizations to partner with a charitable cause. When I worked at my internship, a good 3 months of my time there was focusing on one week in the month of May where profits benefited St. Jude Children’s Hospital. It is very worthwhile for the cause and also gives the organization good press.