Tech Overload

In the blog, The Steve Rubel Lifestream, Steve Rubel does a video interview with, Alan Warms, the CEO of an online application website called Appolicious . The website is a social network sort of website about apps on iPhones and will expand to BlackBerry’s and other devices later on. It is a site where you can search for apps, follow people and ask them question about an app they have purchased and how they like it. they can also find out who has bought what app, etc. It’s a sort of testimonial atmosphere for iPhone applications.  And while I understand the proposed need for this website and don’t know the finer point of how it will work it makes me think we are getting a little too technology dependent for our own good.

Don’t get me wrong, a fairly significant portion of my life, I’m sure, has been wasted on various social networks and internet sites, I am as guilty as anyone else, but really when is enough enough? Are we so dependent that there is really a need for a website like this? When I purchased my BlackBerry and set up my email forwarding I was ecstatic to receive my first email. Now more than a year later I cringe every time I hear my email alert tone and have changed it several times so it no longer wakes me up at the odd times some emails get sent. I take this a sign we need to take a step back every now and again. Is being woken up at 4a.m. really worth being able to receive your emails the second they are sent?

The Appolicious website will be encouraging the information sharing between strangers. Rather than it just being a simple blog post by a satisfied or dissatisfied customer, people will be able to exchange messages discussing it further. Why is this a need? Why do we need a website to walk us through applications? Applications are supposed to be adding something to our lives, not further complicating them. Will this site bring many more like it? Will we need a site to walk us through which site we should us to help us choose our applications?

Perhaps it is my age or the people I spend my time with, but every iPhone app I’ve every played with has been less than a vital piece of technology. While it is amazing that they can design a phone that senses movement as it does so you can play the game labyrinth true to the actual form. Or how much fast a 3 hour class seems when you’re hunting zombies on your phone underneath your desk until the battery dies. And I know there are many actual relevant applications out there like financial or educational purposes but a digital lighter is really not going to do you much good trying to start a campfire.

In the PR world being the first to know something is important, especially when it’s about your client, but the more technology we have the harder that seems to be. Between these apps, Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, and the countless others PR practitioners as well as legitimate news outlets are often hours behind. The news paper has already begun to become obsolete, is all legitimate news next?

While I am excited for those whose lives have just been infinitely better by this website that allows them search and do some product research on an application before they buy it, I would also like to encourage them to remember the simpler times. Back when all your cell phone could do was call or text because, my friends, you are but one fatal drop down the stairs, one time when you thought u took everything out of your pockets before washing your favorite jeans, one time your friends threw you in the pool, clothes, shoes, iPhone and all, away from being back to those simpler times for a minimum of 24hours before your precious phone is repaired or replaced and returned to you. Technology is great but it is here to help us not consume us.

This entry was posted in Blanc Associations and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Tech Overload

1. admin says:

Good topic for a post, Samantha. A few notes:

– I would suggest another read-through to correct for spelling (including second mention of blog author’s name), capitalization (e.g., Blackberry), punctuation (especially comma breaks and run-on sentences), and grammar;

– good job breaking up the text into paragraphs, which is especially important in online writing;

– remember that this blog is geared toward a professional audience. Is there a way you can tie your post back to public relations practice?

– also remember that one of the stated goals is to get the audience involved. How about asking a question, or encouraging feedback on either the specific application you’re discussing, or technology dependence in general?

I’m not grading this first round of posts, but since they are still public, I recommend that you follow the above suggestions. This will also give you practice for future posts.

2. admin says:

I knew I was forgetting something: also think about adding a tag such as “technology,” which may conceivably appear again.

3. Britnee says:

I agree that the application business is growing like crazy. When will it stop? I predict never. I too have a Blackberry but only have a few apps. Perhaps I just haven’t experienced the capacity of the many apps out there that could be saving my time, money and energy. (There has to be SOME application out there that does all three?) In the end, sites like Appolicous may seem overwhelming but they’re probably putting out some good information for the digital savvy consumer.

4. astrazza says:

I think technology is a help but there are instances where it’s a hindrance. Technology allows company to starts blogs, Twitter, Facebook, discussion boards and all other sorts of information that keeps its clients happy and excited about the brand. However, with all this technology there’s oversaturation. Do I really need my grocery store to send out tweets?

An article I oversaw today discussed the Missouri School of Journalism, which is now requiring its students to have an iPhone/iPod touch. Students will be able to stay on top of the news throughout the day, but they may also goof off more. With all this new technology we have to be more careful, especially as PR pros, about what we tweet or say on Facebook.

5. sferrer says:

I have never heard of Appolicous prior to this blog but I am very glad you shared this Web site! I am an Iphone owner and I am guilty of not knowing the different uses of apps. I have only learned about certain apps through word-of-mouth and if I take any time to read the app descriptions that are available at the App store. I am always on the get-go because of my super busy school, internship and social calendar. I have depended on my Iphone with helpful apps at my fingertips. I can check my e-mail read and post tweets, and update my Facebook status without accessing a computer. I’ve also found my Bank of America app user-friendly and I don’t have to drive to the nearest ATM to check my account.
    Before I purchase an app, I want to know if I’m getting my money’s worth or actual use. For apps that are not easy to recognize its purpose like “Shazzam” or “Evernote”, this networking Web site is helpful with reviews, ratings, recommendations and descriptions.
    Social media Web sites are clever for developing apps for the Iphones because they are reaching a huge market: mobile users. Iphone users and soon Blackberry users can access the app of their choice, any time and any place. More companies are taking advantage of creating their own apps. Restaurant chain, Chipotle Mexican Grill, developed the Chipotle Mobile Ordering app. The app finds the nearest Chipotle locations and customers can order their food, avoid lines and pay ahead in a simple and fast manner. People are becoming more technology savvy by the minute and more companies should adapt to these changes.

6. ncano says:

I don’t own an iPhone nor a Blackberry just for that reason. Of course I want this awesome phone that allows me to get my Tweets quicker and easier and that my Facebook application looks like the real Facebook, but at the same time, I feel like there is always something better around the corner next week. As far as applications, there are always new ones. I’m amazed by all the applications for the iPhone, but you’re right, where are going with them? Are we always going to depend on our phones? I like the idea of this application though because it can be helpful. Sometimes you can download horrible applications and not know what you are getting into. Sometimes those applications are expensive too. Things will never go back to being simple, but they will continue to advance and sometimes it is for the better. We get news online now thanks to applications from The New York Times and The Washington Post. We’re an “on-the-go” type of society so I think some of those applications are useful.

7. edean says:

I think this post brings up an interesting subject: Who are the people participating in Web sites like this? There will always be “early adopters” who jump on the bandwagon of a new product before fully understanding the benefits, creating frustration with the consumer.

I happen to find new, innovative technology exciting but yes, overwhelming at times. If it creates unnecessary stress and requires too much time just to figure it out…I don’t use it. I think it takes the responsibility of the individual to figure this out. Businesses are just providing us with more options now, often with the hope they are making lives easier.

If I had a BlackBerry, I would find Appolicious helpful because it could be used to eliminate wasted time and energy that comes from a random search.It not only benefits the consumer to hear testimonials, but it helps the business to get into the heads of their publics. Plus, they have to keep up with the tech savvy crowd to stay afloat in the time of the ever-changing media platform.

Good topic sdoyle!

8. sdoyle says:

Yes I know a lot of people will find this to be a really useful site, I think it’s because BlackBerry apps and iPhone apps are so different that I don’t appreciate the site.

9. sdoyle says:

Wow mandatory iPhone or iTouch? That’s intense. As if college wasn’t expensive enough. That would drive me crazy to have to know all the news updates all the time. It’s good to know what’s going on in the world but sometimes you just need a break from it all. I recently spent a good hour unsubscribing to what felt like hundreds of unnecessary emails that kept getting sent to my phone. I think we need to turn everything off every once in a while and just relax.

10. sdoyle says:

I’m glad you found this really helpful and are enjoying the advances of the technology age.

11. sdoyle says:

I totally agree, I feel like every time you buy a piece of technology the second you walk out of the store it’s out of date and there’s a new thing announced. While I like being able to Google anything anywhere I do miss actually being excited when my phone made a noise, opposed to now when I cringe at every tone.

12. sdoyle says:

If it means enough to me, I will sit down and learn whatever technology has come out, but I feel something require too much time to learn before they are actually helpful. Even the things that claim to be super easy to learn are often much more challenging than advertised. Yes technology is good just overwhelming at times.